TITLE: Instructor (Math)
DIVISION: Goodwill Excel Center
FLSA STATUS: Exempt
REPORTS TO: Lead Instructor
JOB SUMMARY: Instructors hold primary responsibility for the implementation and development of The Excel Center curriculum and the success of its students. Instructors are responsible for continuously improving curriculum and instruction through collaboration as part of the instructional team. Instructors will facilitate learning for students meeting students “where they are” and employing a student-centered approach. Instructors are expected to instruct with passion, creativity, and innovation with a student-centered approach. Instructors will serve as a member of the instructional team focused on excellent, high-quality educational service to all students. The position will meet standards-aligned educational objectives, school-wide goals, and creating intervention plans to meet student outcomes. Instructors will work with Academic Success Coaches and members of the Special Education Team to fully support students and create intervention plans and wrap around support plans. The position will support the school’s motto: “Relationships, Relevance, and Rigor” and will be held accountable for behaving in accordance with divisional and organizational RISE values and expectations.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Preparing and delivering daily, effective and engaging lessons to students who reflect a range of different ages and abilities. Strategies may include, but are not limited to, direct instruction, one-on-one instruction, seminars, self-paced lessons, and online learning environments. The GEC instructional model is an in-person learning model, however, instruction may be delivered through synchronous virtual instruction and/or hybrid instruction.
2. Grading diagnostic, formative, and summative assessments and giving appropriate feedback. Maintaining records of students' progress and development through accurate and on-time grading and gradebook upkeep.
3. Applying best practices in adult education, researching new topic areas, maintaining up-to-date subject knowledge, and devising and writing new curriculum materials when needed and/or as assigned by Lead Instructor based on school needs
4. Selecting and using a range of different learning resources and equipment, including rich technology integration, to ensure high quality learning.
5. Preparing students for passage of internal end of course assessments and external examinations (PARCC, ACT, iReady, SRI, etc.). Maintaining accurate student level assessment data and grades in collaboration with the Lead Instructor.
6. Creating a classroom culture of learning focused on relationships, relevance, and rigor. Employing high quality classroom management in classroom to keep the focus on student learning. Utilizing and collaborating with members of the GEC team to support classroom needs.
7. Participating in collaborative curriculum development, grade-level activities, and school-wide functions aimed at improving student retention, productivity, attendance, credit attainment, school culture, and new student orientation. Understanding student retention is the role of every staff member in the school and is increased through strong communication and excellent service.
8. Communicating student grades and progress reports effectively, each week, with students and colleagues by maintaining an updated gradebook in PowerSchool. Collaborating with staff to ensure student success and identify intervention plans and/or individualized support plans as needed Providing weekly feedback in collaborative meetings with Academic Success Coaches on student progress.
9. Using data to drive decisions and take action. Employing a “data focused” mindset around outcomes, interventions, and action steps.
10. Working with Academic Success Coaches, members of the Special Education Team, and other Leadership staff to support students’ progress towards graduation and post-secondary planning.
11. Attending all team and professional development meetings.
12. Offering tutoring and other academic supports for students every week. Tutoring takes place on Fridays when students do not have class.
13. Thinking creatively around ways to engage students in the class and school at large. Approaching student engagement and retention from a lens of innovation.
14. Approaching each student with a unique lens and from a solution-oriented mindset.
15. Other duties as assigned.
1. Bachelor’s Degree in Science, Math or STEM related field.
2. Two years of teaching experience in an urban setting or 5 terms (1 full year) of long-term substitute teaching at the Goodwill Excel Center.
3. Possesses the essential mindset that all students can succeed.
4. Drives to improve the outcomes and lives of students in and out of the classroom.
5. Exhibits resilience to persevere and create opportunities for students out of challenges and lessons learned.
6. Strong organizational skills; extremely careful attention to detail and follow-through.
7. Strong analytical and problem-solving skills; ability to analyze data for informed decision making.
8. Strong communication skills with ability to communicate direct feedback in a compelling way that empowers students to make immediate improvements.
9. Ability to work well in a team; ability to bridge and enhance professional learning communities.
10. Ability to create, monitor, and maintain systems that enhance instructional outcomes.
11. Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment; flexible, able to work autonomously as well as take direction as needed.
12. Effective presentation skills accompanied with inspiring stage presence.
13. Has working knowledge of computer programs to perform clerical tasks: Google Applications, Microsoft Office, Google Chrome, and
1. Master’s degree in Teaching or Education, or a related field
3. 3-5 years teaching experience in math and/or science.
4. Experience teaching in a high-needs community.
5. Experience with adult learners returning for a high school diploma.
Light -Lifting 20 pounds maximum with frequent lifting and/or carrying objects weighing up to10 pounds. Walking or standing to a significant degree, involves sitting most of the time with a degree of pushing and pulling
Limited - General office environment infrequently exposed to extreme atmospheric conditions (temperature, noise, fumes, dust, etc.)
- Pay Type Salary
- 1776 G St. NW, Washington, DC 20006, USA