Sports - Part-Time Interns
Our current portfolio of media assets includes USA TODAY, local media organizations in 46 states in the U.S., and Newsquest, a wholly owned subsidiary operating in the United Kingdom with more than 120 local news media brands. Gannett also owns the digital marketing services companies ReachLocal, Inc., UpCurve, Inc., and WordStream, Inc., which are marketed under the LOCALiQ brand, and runs the largest media-owned events business in the U.S., USA TODAY NETWORK Ventures.
To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com.
Sports - Part-Time Interns
The Register-Guard is seeking two part-time sports interns to cover high school sports, particularly football. We’re seeking university students who are looking for professional-level experience and have the initiative, skills and judgment to excel.
This paid internship gives college students an opportunity to work with The Register-Guard newsroom for six weeks in September and October, covering high school sports, particularly football.
This role will require working weekends and nighttime hours to cover games and other needs. Interns will work alongside full-time staff, pitching, reporting and creating content for our digital and print products.
Interns will be work closely with the Sports Editor and sports reporters, but are expected to handle stories independently and effectively in a 24/7 deadline-driven environment. The internship is from Sept. 19 through Oct. 30.
Located in the Willamette Valley, Eugene sits about an hour from the beautiful, rugged Oregon Coast. Head north on Interstate 5 to reach Salem, the state capital, in under an hour or Portland in two hours. The Eugene Airport is only 10 minutes from downtown, and Amtrak rolls right into the city center.
Eugene is a robust and vibrant college town with several institutions of higher learning, including the University of Oregon. Known as Track Town USA, it’s an outdoors-minded community with miles of urban forested trails for hiking and running.
- Tackle daily assignments that could include breaking sports news and features, writing, copy editing, online production assignments, social media, research and fact checking, database work, investigative work, audio and video editing and visual journalism.
- Gather information from sources at any locations and through any means commonly available for news stories.
- Interview subjects in person, over the telephone or via email.
- Travel quickly to wherever the news occurs or is being disseminated.
- Research written materials, graphic and photographic materials, as well as audio and video recordings.
- Quickly and accurately report information, either orally or electronically, for publication.
- Help in the production of photographs and graphics that would be helpful in supporting stories.
- Participate in brainstorming sessions.
- Degree-seeking student currently enrolled at a college or university. Students must have completed at least one year of college. Preference given to more advanced students. Those who have completed undergraduate work or are in graduate programs also are accepted.
- Command of AP writing, spelling, grammar, and style.
- Solid fact checking and reporting skills.
- Well-organized, detail-oriented and flexible.
- Open to new ideas, new experiences and learning on the job.
- Critical thinking and analytical skills.
- Technical skills (will vary depending on the assignment).
- Ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to communicate effectively inside and outside the organization.
- These positions require a valid driver’s license, reliable transportation, and the minimum liability insurance required by state law.
- Employment is contingent on passing a pre-employment, post-offer background check, motor vehicle record check and drug screen.
We are eager to learn more about you and how you fit this role. When you apply, don’t limit your upload to a resume; show us what you’ve done. To do so, put together a single document file that includes the following, in this order:
- Your resume – one to two pages.
- A cover letter that outlines how you would approach the internship.
- Links to three published stories, writing samples and/or audio samples.
It is important that these items be assembled into a single document and uploaded in PDF format. Completing these steps will ensure that your application receives the highest consideration.
- Job Family UNION
- Job Function Consumer
- Pay Type Hourly
- Employment Indicator Internship
- Min Hiring Rate $15.00
- Max Hiring Rate $15.00
- Required Education Some College
- Eugene, OR, USA
- Oregon, USA