Our current portfolio of media assets includes USA TODAY, local media organizations in 46 states in the U.S., and Newsquest, a wholly owned subsidiary operating in the United Kingdom with more than 120 local news media brands. Gannett also owns the digital marketing services companies ReachLocal, Inc., UpCurve, Inc., and WordStream, Inc., which are marketed under the LOCALiQ brand, and runs the largest media-owned events business in the U.S., USA TODAY NETWORK Ventures.
To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com.
News - Intern
Summer Internship - Reporting
The Tallahassee Democrat/tallahasseee.com, part of the USA TODAY NETWORK, is seeking a part-time Summer Intern. This journalism intern will help with coverage of breaking news, general assignments and special efforts.
This paid part-time internship program gives college students an opportunity to work in a newsroom environment over the summer. We’re seeking students who are looking for a professional-level experience and have the initiative, skills and judgment to excel.
The program will include one-on-one coaching and mentoring, but students are expected to handle stories independently and effectively in a 24/7 deadline-driven environment.
This role could include day and nighttime hours in the newsroom depending on the newsroom’s needs and your schedule.
Responsibilities may include:
- Handling daily assignments of breaking news reporting, writing, copy editing, online production assignments, social media, research, database work, investigative work, audio and video editing and visual journalism.
- Gathering information from sources at any location and through any means commonly available for news stories.
- Interviewing subjects in person, over the telephone or via computer terminals, and in writing.
- Traveling quickly to wherever the news occurs or is being disseminated.
- Researching written materials, graphic and photographic materials, as well as audio and video recordings.
- Quickly and accurately reporting information, either verbally or electronically, for publication.
- Helping in the production of photographs and graphics to support stories.
- Participating in brainstorming sessions and pitching of story ideas.
- Degree-seeking student currently enrolled in a journalism program at a college or university. Students must have completed at least one year of college.
- Strong command of AP writing, spelling, grammar and style.
- Reporting skills.
- Well-organized, detail-oriented and flexible.
- Open to new ideas, new experiences and learning on the job.
- Critical thinking and analytical skills.
- Technical skills (will vary depending on the assignment).
- Ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment.
- Experience performing a wide variety of tasks under deadline pressure.
- Ability to communicate effectively across all levels of the organization.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills.
- Advanced proficiency in MS Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
If you are selected, the position requires a valid driver’s license, reliable transportation, and the minimum liability insurance required by state law.
Employment is contingent on passing a pre-employment, post-offer drug screen and background check.
- Job Family Intern
- Job Function General Administration
- Pay Type Hourly
- Florida, USA
- Tallahassee, FL, USA