Summer Reporting Internship
Our current portfolio of media assets includes USA TODAY, local media organizations in 46 states in the U.S., and Newsquest, a wholly owned subsidiary operating in the United Kingdom with more than 120 local news media brands. Gannett also owns the digital marketing services companies ReachLocal, Inc., UpCurve, Inc., and WordStream, Inc., which are marketed under the LOCALiQ brand, and runs the largest media-owned events business in the U.S., USA TODAY NETWORK Ventures.
To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com.
Summer Internship - Reporting
The Lubbock Avalanche-Journal/lubbockonline.com, part of the USA TODAY NETWORK,is seeking a Summer Intern to participate in our Internship Program.
This paid internship program gives college students an opportunity to work in the newsroom during the spring semester. We’re seeking students who are looking for a professional-level experience and have the initiative, skills and judgment to excel at it.
- Tackle daily assignments that could include breaking news reporting, community news, features or sports reporting, writing, copy editing, online production assignments, social media, research, and fact checking, database work, investigative work, audio and video editing and visual journalism.
- Gather information from sources at any locations and through any means commonly available for news stories, although not necessarily at the skills level of a spot-news reporter.
- Interview subjects in person, over the telephone or via computer terminals, and in writing.
- Travel quickly to wherever the news occurs or is being disseminated.
- Research written materials, graphic and photographic materials, as well as audio and video recordings.
- Quickly and accurately report information, either orally or electronically, for publication.
- Help in the production of photographs and graphics that would be helpful in supporting stories.
- Participate in brainstorming sessions.
- Degree-seeking student currently enrolled in a journalism program at a college or university.
- Strong command of AP writing, spelling, grammar, and style.
- Solid fact checking and reporting skills.
- Well-organized, detail-oriented and flexible.
- Open to new ideas, new experiences and learning on the job.
- Critical thinking and analytical skills.
- Technical skills (will vary depending on the assignment).
- Ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment.
- Experience performing a wide variety of tasks under the pressure of deadlines.
- Ability to communicate effectively across all levels of the organization.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills required.
- Advanced proficiency in MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- If you are selected for a driving role, these positions require a valid driver’s license, reliable transportation, and the minimum liability insurance required by state law.
- Employment is contingent on passing a post-offer pre-employment background check, motor vehicle record check and drug screen.
- Job Family Intern
- Job Function Consumer
- Pay Type Hourly
- Employment Indicator Internship
- Required Education Some College
- Lubbock, TX, USA
- Texas, USA