Community Watchdog Reporter
Our current portfolio of media assets includes USA TODAY, local media organizations in 46 states in the U.S., and Newsquest, a wholly owned subsidiary operating in the United Kingdom with more than 120 local news media brands. Gannett also owns the digital marketing services companies ReachLocal, Inc., UpCurve, Inc., and WordStream, Inc., which are marketed under the LOCALiQ brand, and runs the largest media-owned events business in the U.S., USA TODAY NETWORK Ventures.
To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com.
The York Daily Record, part of the USA Today Network’s Atlantic Region, is looking for a community watchdog reporter who will help hold people in authority accountable for their actions and help our neighbors who seek fair and equitable treatment in all walks of life.
This isn’t about churning out daily copy and filing endless breaking news stories. It’s about insightful coverage that will defend the public trust and shine a light on solutions. We need a self-starter with a track record of high-impact journalism who understands how to attract a digital audience.
You will collaborate with our newsrooms in Pennsylvania for statewide projects as well as staff throughout the USA TODAY Network.
- Create high-impact journalism (articles, videos, photos and social media posts) that engages key audiences and platforms.
- Provide thoughtful analysis of complex issues, including social justice.
- Engage with the community on social media, on camera, in forums, through community leadership, etc.
- Work with senior editors to evaluate what's working and what's not and develop plans to better satisfy audience needs.
- Collaborate with visuals and production team to provide all appropriate elements for stories (i.e. photos, videos and graphics).
- Capture basic photos and video as needed.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Skills and requirements
- Proven track record of watchdog journalism.
- Strong writing and copyediting skills
- Advanced knowledge of social media and customer feedback tools, including how to respond and engage customers on digital platforms in the public space.
- Deep understanding of and curiosity about engaging and maintaining digital subscribers
- Exceptional planning and organizational skills.
- Self-motivation and self-direction.
- Industry knowledge.
- Effective written and verbal communicator; able to get along with diverse personalities.
- Able to multi-task and excel under intense deadline pressure in a rapidly changing environment.
- Works collaboratively within a cross-functional environment.
- Must embrace peer-to-peer training, as both a teacher and student.
- Database skills
- Applies innovative, creative thinking to support the company's goals.
- Command of media law and Principles of Ethical Content.
We are eager to learn more about you and how you fit this role.
When you apply, don't limit your upload to a resume; show us what you've done. To do so, put together a single document file that includes the following, in this order:
- Your resume - one to two pages
- A cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job
- Links to 3-6 online samples of your work. Show us what you've written, produced, or had a hand in that best reflects what you can do in your desired role.
It is important that these items be assembled into a single document and uploaded in PDF format. Completing these steps will ensure that your application receives the highest consideration.
- Job Family UNION
- Job Function Marketing Solutions
- Pay Type Hourly
- York, PA, USA