City/County Government Reporter
Our current portfolio of media assets includes USA TODAY, local media organizations in 46 states in the U.S., and Newsquest, a wholly owned subsidiary operating in the United Kingdom with more than 120 local news media brands. Gannett also owns the digital marketing services companies ReachLocal, Inc., UpCurve, Inc., and WordStream, Inc., which are marketed under the LOCALiQ brand, and runs the largest media-owned events business in the U.S., USA TODAY NETWORK Ventures.
To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com.
The Clarion-Ledger, part of the USA TODAY NETWORK, is searching for a digital-savvy reporter to cover city and county government in a city full of important news.
This beat focuses primarily on city government, general assignment and daily stories with responsibility for real-time digital reporting that is competitive and insightful. In addition, coverage will include broader trend stories on government and its effects on the community.
This is a great job for a high-energy individual with a nose for news who can generate accurate, clean copy and provide insightful stories for digital audiences.
- Report quickly, clearly and accurately and deliver news, via stories, video, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram or other methods.
- Use metrics to inform story choices and shape beat strategies.
- Identify top news stories of the day, based on analytics and audience potential.
- Cultivate a beat, knowing the ins/outs of how government works and its key players. Have a genuine interest in people and ability to build trust.
- Write breaking news stories, enterprise and trending stories, and long-form features.
- Write and/or produce multimedia content that appeals to key audience targets and maximizes user experience on digital and social platforms.
- Provide cogent analysis of trends and issues that affect the daily lives of readers.
- Work closely with graphic, photo and video teams to produce and optimize content.
- Engage with readers through various social media platforms.
- Demonstrate strong news judgment informed by real-world experience.
- Bachelor's or master’s in communications, journalism, digital media or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Minimum of 2 years’ reporting/newsroom experience preferred. Will consider recent college graduates with that have completed meaningful internships
- Experience shooting photos and videos.
- Strong command of AP grammar and style.
- Strong copy-editing skills and the ability to produce content that is clean, accurate and "publication ready."
- A passion for news and content that will work well with audiences on social platforms.
- Comfort in fluid, fast-breaking, stressful situations.
- A desire to grow and develop a key beat in our newsroom.
- Comfort using social media such as Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Snapchat to enhance reporting and promote stories – not only to share information but also to listen for what the community is talking about.
- An understanding of journalistic ethics and sourcing rules.
- Passion for a fast-paced news environment and understanding of the digital-first mission.
- A willingness to collaborate with others.
- Job Family Frontline Journalists
- Job Function Consumer
- Pay Type Hourly
- Jackson, MS, USA