Director of Photography
Our current portfolio of media assets includes USA TODAY, local media organizations in 46 states in the U.S., and Newsquest, a wholly owned subsidiary operating in the United Kingdom with more than 120 local news media brands. Gannett also owns the digital marketing services companies ReachLocal, Inc., UpCurve, Inc., and WordStream, Inc., which are marketed under the LOCALiQ brand, and runs the largest media-owned events business in the U.S., USA TODAY NETWORK Ventures.
To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com.
Director of Photography
The Columbus Dispatch/dispatch.com, Ohio's capital city news organization and part of the USA TODAY NETWORK, is seeking a dynamic and experienced Director of Photography to direct our team of photojournalists in all aspects of video and photography and lead the visual standard in our newsroom.
The Director will coordinate visual coverage for live, breaking news and audience-driven enterprise across our digital, social and print platforms. You’ll manage visuals from inception to publication, working with a variety of staffers in assigning, producing and presenting compelling content.
You must have deep knowledge about news-gathering issues involving privacy, libel, access, trespass and ethics.
The ideal candidate will be an excellent coach who will challenge and inspire the team to look for and create their own visual stories that showcase the Columbus community. The candidate will be a passionate partner to other team leaders and reporters endeavoring to tell stories in innovative ways.
The job requires at least five years of experience and prior supervisory responsibility, including skills determining equipment needs, maintenance of equipment and mentoring and coaching staff.
- Short and long-term planning and assigning of visual coverage that encompasses both digital and print platforms.
- Video planning and coaching.
- Work with newsroom staff to plan creative and compelling photo assignments.
- Work with other staff to plan content and event coverage.
- Manage visuals team.
- Bachelor's or master’s degree in communications, journalism marketing or related field preferred or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- At least 5 years of visual management and editing experience.
- A proven coach who fosters staff development.
- Comfort managing between digital, print and social platforms.
- Adept in current tech tools and trends with stills and video.
- Strong editing of stills and related captions, including AP style.
- Employment is contingent on passing a pre-employment, post-offer background check.
- Job Family Photography & Video
- Job Function Consumer
- Pay Type Salary
- Required Education Equivalent Experience
- Columbus, OH, USA
- Ohio, USA