Our current portfolio of media assets includes USA TODAY, local media organizations in 46 states in the U.S., and Newsquest, a wholly owned subsidiary operating in the United Kingdom with more than 120 local news media brands. Gannett also owns the digital marketing services companies ReachLocal, Inc., UpCurve, Inc., and WordStream, Inc., which are marketed under the LOCALiQ brand, and runs the largest media-owned events business in the U.S., USA TODAY NETWORK Ventures.
To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com.
USA TODAY/usatoday.com is seeking a Database Reporter who can help us find and deliver compelling, interactive and searchable data to subscribers.
We are looking for a detail-oriented reporter with the skills to quickly obtain, analyze, prepare and present newsworthy datasets that surprise and empower readers.
This job is an entryway to USA TODAY’s award-winning investigations and data teams, handling quick-turn data projects that make it easy for USA TODAY subscribers to find the information that matters most to them.
You should be able to anticipate which databases will resonate, know how to add value and context when presenting data for search, and understand the tools that will deliver on these ideas.
We want creative thinkers who are at once ambitious and deadline-oriented, who relish making a wide range of data more accessible to ordinary people and, as much as possible, finding ways for data to answer important questions.
You will need to execute the technical work of harnessing the power of data. But ideally, you also understand how to “interview” the data, test its validity, draw conclusions, and vet those conclusions through traditional reporting methods. We seek data reporters who are as comfortable talking to database owners to resolve technical issues as they are with cleaning a messy CSV file.
A collaborative mindset is fundamental to the success of USA TODAY’s data team. You will be called on to support your teammates as an active participant in group discussions. We want people who are good at devising strategies that bring their own great ideas to fruition, but also relish brainstorming new approaches to ideas others bring.
The data you obtain has the potential to generate not only high-utility search tools but also, on occasion, short and long-term enterprise with reporting partners from across the USA TODAY newsroom.
You will work with the largest team of journalists in the U.S., a powerful network of more than 200 local affiliates, with the nation as your subject. Our Data & Investigations team is based across the country.
This position can be based at our headquarters in McLean, VA, in one of our local newsrooms or remotely.
Job Level: Reporter II
Minimum salary for this position: $62,000
- Obtain and analyze government and commercially available data that will interest readers across the USA TODAY Network.
- Collaborate with journalists nationwide to build exclusive, custom data sets.
- Acquire existing datasets that we can make more useful to readers through cleaning, geocoding or the addition of contextual tools like per-capita normalization.
- Use your keen sense of where to find under-utilized, off-the-shelf data, and relentlessly negotiate for data that’s not as easy to get. You should be able to think creatively, and fast, about building data sets from inconsistent records across many jurisdictions and help others do so.
- Help generate ideas for reader-facing searchable databases.
- Work with other journalists and developers to mine these data for innovative stories that capitalize on alternative story forms.
- Bachelor's or master’s degree in journalism or any other subject or an equivalent combination of education and experience. Newsroom data analysis experience is a huge plus.
- Experience as a reporter for a daily news media organization, including a proven track record of collaboration on data projects.
- Demonstrable experience obtaining and analyzing data and using that data to tell stories and/or empower readers.
- Familiarity with data scraping, web development or analytical tools such as Pandas, R, and Jupyter notebooks.
- You should be comfortable with a variety of data cleaning tools and have some GIS skills.
- This role requires a valid driver’s license, reliable transportation, and the minimum liability insurance required by state law.
- Employment is contingent on passing a post-offer pre-employment background check.
We are eager to learn more about you and how you fit this role. When you apply, don’t limit your upload to a resume; show us what you’ve done. To do so, put together a single document file that includes the following, in this order:
- Your resume – one to two pages.
- A cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job.
- Links to 3-6 online samples of your work. Show us what you’ve produced or had a hand in that best reflects what you can do in your desired role.
It is important that these items be assembled into a single document and uploaded in PDF format. Completing these steps will ensure that your application receives the highest consideration.
- Job Family Frontline Journalists
- Job Function Consumer
- Pay Type Hourly
- Min Hiring Rate $62,000.00
- Required Education Equivalent Experience
- United States