Opinion Digital Producer
Our current portfolio of media assets includes USA TODAY, local media organizations in 46 states in the U.S., and Newsquest, a wholly owned subsidiary operating in the United Kingdom with more than 120 local news media brands. Gannett also owns the digital marketing services companies ReachLocal, Inc., UpCurve, Inc., and WordStream, Inc., which are marketed under the LOCALiQ brand, and runs the largest media-owned events business in the U.S., USA TODAY NETWORK Ventures.
To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com.
Opinion Digital Producer
USA TODAY/usatoday.com is seeking an audience producer to package, optimize and create content for all platforms and help champion our work and growth.
This person must have a deep understanding of metrics, SEO and social media strategies and be comfortable taking a lead role in creating engagement and promotion plans for our work, adjusting in real time as needed.
We’re looking for someone with sound news judgment, strong writing and headline-writing skills, an ability to produce digital content packages and create social posts and help draw readers to our free and subscriber work.
The ideal candidate will be a collaborator who can work closely with writers, columnists, editors and audience champions throughout the newsroom.
This position may involve evening and/or weekend work. Remote work will be considered.
Job Level: Digital Producer I
Minimum Salary: $55,000
- Edit, produce and publish content, optimizing for SEO and digital best practices.
- Work with reporters and editors on projects to produce in-depth storytelling packaging.
- Monitor wire services and other media.
- Use metrics to determine traffic patterns and make changes tied to the data. Familiarity with Parse.ly and Google Analytics products a plus.
- Manage workflow to meet deadlines.
- Bachelor's or master’s degree in communications, journalism or any other subject or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 2-3 years of experience working for a daily news organization.
- Excellent news judgment.
- Top-notch writing, editing and headline-writing skills.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Proven experience with advanced storytelling techniques on multiple platforms.
- Effective communicator; able to get along with diverse personalities.
- Able to multi-task and excel under intense deadline pressure in a rapidly changing industry.
- Ability to act calmly and decisively in complex breaking news situations.
- Knowledge of AP style.
- Able to work early morning, night or weekend shifts.
- Employment is contingent on passing a post-offer pre-employment background check.
We are eager to learn more about you and how you fit this role. When you apply, don’t limit your upload to a resume; show us what you’ve done. To do so, put together a single document file that includes the following, in this order:
- Your resume – one to two pages.
- A cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job.
- Links to 3-6 online samples of your work. Show us what you’ve produced or had a hand in that best reflects what you can do in your desired role.
It is important that these items be assembled into a single document and uploaded in PDF format. Completing these steps will ensure that your application receives the highest consideration.
- Job Family Copy, Production & Planning
- Job Function Consumer
- Pay Type Hourly
- Min Hiring Rate $55,000.00
- Required Education Equivalent Experience
- United States