Projects & Collaboration Editor
Our current portfolio of media assets includes USA TODAY, local media organizations in 46 states in the U.S., and Newsquest, a wholly owned subsidiary operating in the United Kingdom with more than 120 local news media brands. Gannett also owns the digital marketing services companies ReachLocal, Inc., UpCurve, Inc., and WordStream, Inc., which are marketed under the LOCALiQ brand, and runs the largest media-owned events business in the U.S., USA TODAY NETWORK Ventures.
To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com.
Projects & Collaboration Editor
The Arizona Republic/azcentral.com, part of the USA TODAY NETWORK, are looking for an editor who is part project manager, part digital designer and strategist. This editor will work side-by-side with content creators to deliver great interactive journalism.
Job details and who we are searching for:
Ideally, you'll have some experience with editing text, video, audio, data visualization and code, and understand how to apply those skills to our core values in the newsroom.
If this sounds like a wide-ranging job, that's because it is, and we're open to any combination of the variety of skill sets and backgrounds you can bring to this role.
You may be a great graphics or video editor who's ready to bring more motion graphics to our presentation suite.
You may be a great project manager or developer who's ready to get hands-on with more newsroom content. The idea is to be a digital thinker with big aspirations who's ready to help others do their best work.
You will have the potential to collaborate with any team in our award-winning newsroom, but your starting roles will include:
- Our enterprise and investigative teams: You'll collaborate with the investigations editor and the storytelling/environment editor on their long-term projects, helping envision, organize and execute on visuals, research, structural and presentation elements. If we're traveling to report, you're envisioning what we collect. If we have a nontraditional story, you're envisioning the form in which to tell it. If we're working with data, you're the one helping turn it into motion graphics, sound or other new experiences.
- Our data reporters: You'll help our expert data team execute standalone databases and other projects that need visual and technical support.
- Our audio team: We publish three weekly serial or episodic podcasts plus a slew of special audio projects. You'll work with them to help innovate, grow audience and better cross-pollinate these teams' reporting into other platforms.
- Collaborate across multiple teams and platforms to produce strong, information rich stories with depth and context.
- Execute and coordinate large-scale projects that incorporate text, visualizations, photo, video and audio.
- Strategize and launch coverage of news and trends, using news judgment, analytics and innovation.
- Edit and coach reporters and journalists from across the newsroom, and provide feedback on stories and reporting, no matter the platform.
- Experiment with new ways of informing and engaging audiences with alternate story forms.
- Bachelor's or master’s degree in journalism or related field or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- At least 3-5 years of experience in professional journalism experience or in project planning and production with similar expectations.
- Leadership or editing experience, either formally or (at least) informally guiding and motivating teams that generate, produce or publish content.
- Employment is contingent on passing a post-offer pre-employment background check.
We are eager to learn more about you and how you fit this role. When you apply, don’t limit your upload to a resume; show us what you’ve done. To do so, put together a single document file that includes the following, in this order:
- Your resume – one to two pages.
- A cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job.
- Links to 3-6 online samples of your work. Show us what you’ve produced or had a hand in that best reflects what you can do in your desired role.
It is important that these items be assembled into a single document and uploaded in PDF format. Completing these steps will ensure that your application receives the highest consideration.
- Job Family Content Management
- Job Function Consumer
- Pay Type Salary
- Required Education Equivalent Experience
- Arizona, USA
- Phoenix, AZ, USA