Business Reporter – Tech/Startups
Our current portfolio of media assets includes USA TODAY, local media organizations in 46 states in the U.S., and Newsquest, a wholly owned subsidiary operating in the United Kingdom with more than 120 local news media brands. Gannett also owns the digital marketing services companies ReachLocal, Inc., UpCurve, Inc., and WordStream, Inc., which are marketed under the LOCALiQ brand, and runs the largest media-owned events business in the U.S., USA TODAY NETWORK Ventures.
To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com.
Business Reporter – Tech/Startups
The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel/jsonline.com, part of the USA TODAY NETWORK, is seeking an experienced reporter to join our Business team and bring a digital-first mindset to coverage of entrepreneurs and the tech and startup scene in Milwaukee, Madison and across the state, with a focus on ways to retool and rebuild the state’s old-line economy for the future.
We're looking for someone who can skillfully track down, report and write the most important stories about growth opportunities in Wisconsin -- startups, pivots, new products and spinoffs rising from research, inventions, inventors and entrepreneurs, angel investors and venture capitalists. This reporter will be encouraged to look for best practice models that have helped boost economic growth and opportunities elsewhere that might provide guidance for policy makers here.
This reporter will work closely with reporters focused on the changing workforce needs and innovative research at universities that carry the potential for spin off into new enterprises. The reporter could be based in Milwaukee or Madison, but can expect to spend considerable time doing reporting in both places – and elsewhere around the state, as appropriate.
The ideal candidate will be a self-starter who is as comfortable with quick-turn pieces to capitalize on reader interest in the moment as with in-depth stories that help explain trends and expose problems. In time, we hope this reporter becomes a knowledgeable source that readers interested in business growth and opportunity consider essential to follow. Reporting for video, audio and social media platforms will be important.
The position is a part of a dynamic business and economics reporting team that includes our 10 sister newsrooms in Wisconsin as well as other parts of the USA TODAY Network. A record of outstanding reporting with an emphasis on business coverage is preferred.
- Creates storytelling that accurately informs, entertains and engages specific audiences and platforms through the use of metrics.
- This reporter will cultivate relationships with stakeholders.
- Works toward becoming the community’s leading voice in area of expertise.
- Source development is critical to the beat.
- Serve as a public ambassador for our brand through community outreach and connecting with the community through storytelling and outreach (social media, on camera, forums, community leadership, etc.) Provides thoughtful analysis of complex issues.
- Promotes personal brand, the brands of colleagues and the institutional brand.
- Provides great customer service, helping readers find answers and solutions.
- Report quickly, clearly and accurately and deliver news, via stories, video, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram or any other methods available to reach our audience.
- Use metrics to inform story choices and shape beat strategies.
- Cultivates a beat, knowing the ins/outs of the beat and its key players. Has a genuine interest in people and ability to build trust.
- Writes and/or produces multimedia content that appeals to key audience targets and maximizes user experience on digital and social platforms to reach readers where they spend their time and attention.
- Engage on social media with sources and audience.
- Experiment with new ways of informing and engaging audiences on social platforms and alternate storyforms.
- Bachelor's or master’s in communications, journalism or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Minimum of 1-2 years’ reporting/newsroom experience (including college programs).
- Adept at taking photos and video and will file quickly across platforms: mobile, desktop and social media.
- Strong command of AP grammar and style.
- Strong copy-editing skills and the ability to produce content that is clean, accurate and "publication ready."
- Is passionate and enthusiastic about news and content that will work well with audiences on social platforms.
- Is comfortable using social media such as Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Snapchat to enhance reporting and promote stories.
- Understands reporting ethics and sourcing.
- Excels in a fast-paced news environment and understands the digital first mission.
- Collaborates well with others and can work with a team on the biggest stories.
- This role requires a valid driver’s license, reliable transportation, and the minimum liability insurance required by state law.
We are eager to learn more about you and how you fit this role. When you apply, don’t limit your upload to a resume; show us what you’ve done. To do so, put together a single document file that includes the following, in this order:
- Your resume – one to two pages.
- A brief essay (roughly 500 words) on how you would approach the beat and include five story ideas.
- Links to 3-6 online samples of your work. Show us what you’ve produced or had a hand in that best reflects what you can do in your desired role.
It is important that these items be assembled into a single document and uploaded in PDF format. Completing these steps will ensure that your application receives the highest consideration.
- Job Family Frontline Journalists
- Job Function Consumer
- Pay Type Hourly
- Required Education Equivalent Experience
- Milwaukee, WI, USA
- Wisconsin, USA