Fort Worth Zoo, 1989 Colonial Pkwy, Fort Worth, Texas, United States of America Req #511
Monday, August 8, 2022
This position will assist with the daily operation, monitoring, maintenance, and repair of life support system equipment, pools, and exhibits.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Conduct daily rounds of all filtration areas to inspect pumps, motors, generators, chillers, air handlers and other filtration equipment
• Assist with building, repairing, and maintaining a variety of pumps, filters, valves, and actuators
• Assist with the installation and repair of pool fixtures, cutting, gluing and the threading of pipe, bending pipe and testing valves and other equipment
• Monitor water quality and chemistry of aquatic exhibits; perform water quality testing
• Clean basins, skimmers and water and wastewater plumbing, piping, filtration and mixing systems, and sterilization equipment, hydraulic systems, ozone generators, sand filters, fractionators
• Assist with the construction/fabrication of new aquatic/LSS systems and operations/functions as necessary
• Ensure that preventive maintenance, troubleshooting and repairs, and facilities maintenance are addressed on a timely and proactive basis
• Maintain tools, equipment, and workspace in a clean, orderly, and safe manner
• Utilize CMMS work order system for work scheduling, preventative maintenance programs and record keeping
• Assist where needed in inter-departmental projects and functions
• Perform other related duties and responsibilities (as appropriate to skill level and experience) as assigned
• Have regular and punctual attendance
• Work modified schedule as needed and determined by management
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
• Knowledge of motor controls, pumps, filtration, automated controls, and pneumatics
• Ability to read blueprints, schematic drawings, and diagrams
• General knowledge of filtration and water chemistry
• Ability to function as a member of a team in a fast-paced environment
• Ability to work flexible schedule including evenings, weekends, and holidays, and serve on an on-call basis as needed
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other employees
• Valid driver license with acceptable motor vehicle record to maintain zoo standards of insurability
Education and/or Experience:
• High school diploma or equivalent preferred
• Experience in water/wastewater treatment or pool/spa operations and maintenance; experience must include service, repair, and installation
• Experience in the use of common hand and power tools used in the maintenance and construction crafts
• Previous experience in life support operation at a zoo or aquarium preferred
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; Walk on uneven terrain including paved areas, gravel/rocks, and dirt/sand is required to access various locations in the Zoo. Work frequently involves periods of intense physical effort including, but not limited to, lifting and operating tools and objects weighing up to 90 pounds, walking significant distances, and using manual and power tools and equipment.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
• Team oriented environment
• Ability to work irregular hours (holidays and weekends)
• Ability to work special events and functions as required
• Ability to work outdoors in heat, cold and inclement weather
The above job description is meant to describe the general nature and level of work being performed; it is not intended to be construed as a complete inventory of all responsibilities, duties and skills required for the position.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform other job-related duties requested by their supervisor.
Requirements are representative of minimum levels of knowledge, skills and/or abilities. To perform this job successfully, the employee must possess the abilities or aptitudes to perform each duty proficiently. Continued employment remains on an at-will basis.
This is a full-time position and offers the following benefits:
• Medical and Prescription Drug (Employee Coverage 90% Employer Paid, Dependent Coverage 55% Employer Paid)
• Basic Life AD&D (100% Employer Paid)
• Short Term Disability (100% Employer Paid)
• Long Term Disability (100% Employer Paid)
• Supplemental Life
• Flexible Spending Account
• Paid Time Off (Accrual Equivalent to 5 Weeks Per Year)
• PTO Rollover
• PTO Sell Back
• Free Zoo Membership
• Free Guest Passes
• Discounts on Food, Merchandise, Attractions, Admission and Programs
- Pay Type Hourly
- Fort Worth Zoo, 1989 Colonial Pkwy, Fort Worth, Texas, United States of America