Fort Worth Zoo, 1989 Colonial Pkwy, Fort Worth, Texas, United States of America Req #473
Friday, April 22, 2022
This position will assist keepers in the care of a variety of animals within the Zoo. Positions at this level are expected to perform under the immediate supervision of Mammal Department staff.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Assist in feeding and watering animals in and around existing quarters; clean, sanitize, maintain and repair animal quarters as required; shovel, rake, hose, sweep, dust and mop floors
• Assist keeper staff in preparation of diets for animals; clean and maintain work area and food storage containers
• Observe how staff maintain adequate records on daily activities; assist in observing animal behavior for signs of illness, weight loss/gain or injury; report any signs of illness or injury
• Assist keeper staff in supporting veterinarians in minor operations or related activity, administer prescribed medications, submit fecal samples and other duties as needed
• Assist keeper staff in guiding animals through daily routines per established training schedules and guidelines as directed.
• Assist in cleaning and maintaining food storage containers and carrying out animal diet directives from the Nutritional Services Department
• Assist keeper staff in the zoo-wide behavioral management program by presenting approved animal training and enrichment projects
• Respond to public inquiries in a courteous manner; resolve complaints in an efficient and timely manner.
• Assist in feeding live prey and or euthanize some prey items as related to the requirements of specific taxa
• Assist in properly maintaining exhibits, animal facilities, equipment and life support systems (as apply) as trained for specific positions
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
• Must be 18 years of age or older
• Valid driver license with acceptable motor vehicle record to maintain zoo standards of insurability
Must possess ability to:
• Work independently in the absence of immediate supervision
• Understand and follow oral and written instructions
• Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing
• Establish and maintain effective working relationships
• Maintain physical condition appropriate to the performance of assigned duties and responsibilities
Education and/or Experience:
• High School diploma or equivalent
• Interest in zoology or a related field desirable but not required
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; and talk or hear. The employee must regularly lift and/or or move up to 75 pounds.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
• Team oriented environment
• Ability to work irregular hours (holidays and weekends)
• Exposure to a variety of domestic and wild or potentially dangerous animals; animal odors and animal body fluids
• Exposure to all types of inclement weather conditions
• Exposure to chemicals (cleaning, water chemicals, additives, etc.)
• Ability to work special events and functions as required
The above job description is meant to describe the general nature and level of work being performed; it is not intended to be construed as a complete inventory of all responsibilities, duties and skills required for the position.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform other job-related duties requested by their supervisor.
Requirements are representative of minimum levels of knowledge, skills and/or abilities. To perform this job successfully, the employee must possess the abilities or aptitudes to perform each duty proficiently. Continued employment remains on an at-will basis.
- Pay Type Hourly
- Fort Worth Zoo, 1989 Colonial Pkwy, Fort Worth, Texas, United States of America