Assistant General Counsel
The Lions, much like the city and community they represent, are built on a blue-collar work ethic that values hustle and conviction.
Under the leadership of Sheila Hamp, the great granddaughter of Henry Ford, the Lions have ushered in an era of rebirth focused on creating an inclusive and equitable experience for employees, partners and fans. Building off the rich and diverse history of the city, the Lions embrace transparency and value contribution from all areas of the organization. We believe in the power of a pride, and acknowledge winning together takes understanding, acceptance, and teamwork. We believe in our “we” culture and are committed to building a new tradition that Detroit and Michigan can be proud of.
One Pride. For All.
The Detroit Lions currently need an Assistant General Counsel. It will be based out of the Allen Park Training Facility located in Allen Park, Mi with occasional docking at Ford Field in Downtown Detroit. We will accept applications for this position until 11:59PM on February 18th, 2022.
The Assistant General Counsel will assist with completing all team business contracts, managing contractual relationships, overseeing litigation, limiting legal and business exposure, and advising team management and employees on all relevant matters. The ideal candidate is highly self-motivated, personable and adept at spotting and analyzing legal and business issues on a day-to-day basis. This role will protect the Club’s interests with appropriate legal terms and conditions and deliver high-quality legal services and counsel to business colleagues in a timely manner. The Lions offer an energetic work environment built on collaboration, growth, and a quest to excel in everything we do.
The Assistant General Counsel position will have daily responsibilities including, without limitation, the following:
- Provide legal advice on a wide variety of contract, corporate, litigation, employment and compliance issues; propose solutions while balancing legal considerations with business objectives.
- Structure, review, draft and negotiate team business agreements. Agreements range from routine form contracts to highly complex, customized, mission-critical agreements, including corporate sponsor, suite agreements, sweepstakes, ticketing, marketing, event, licensing, media & technology, premium hospitality and vendor contracts.
- Help protect the Club’s intellectual property.
- Conduct and coordinate research into a variety of legal issues and provide clear recommendations to stakeholders and members of the staff.
- Know, understand and monitor compliance with terms of existing contracts with rights holders, sponsors, vendors and other interested parties.
- Know, understand and monitor compliance with NFL policies, as well as local, state and federal law.
- Know, understand and monitor compliance with relevant U.S., international and state data privacy and data security laws.
- Counsel internal clients on legal issues and strategies while analyzing and assessing potential risks associated with proposed courses of action.
- Liaise with the Club’s security personnel on various matters.
- Exercise advanced legal skill and judgment in offering advice to internal clients, and when working on legal matters and drafting agreements.
- Represent the Club in dispute resolution, in a wide range of contexts.
- Anticipate, manage and limit any legal or business risk facing the company.
- Work closely with insurers and risk managers to minimize the Club’s exposure.
- In coordination with business and Human Resources colleagues, develop and maintain Club policies and guidelines; develop and maintain best practices across the organization.
- Provide legal support to the Club’s Director of Football Compliance and Lead Football Counsel.
- Prepare employment and separation agreements.
- Help oversee existing relationships with outside law firms and alternative legal providers.
- Will accept and manage other responsibilities and duties required by the supervisor consistent with the objectives and essential functions of this position. Such responsibilities shall be incorporated into the position description if they are ongoing.
- Must be motivated, reliable, and able to work independently or as part of a team
- Maintain professionalism when communicating with internal and external contacts
- Must be accurate and efficient with ability to meet deadlines
- Must be detail oriented with strong organizational skills
- The ability to gather and analyze information skillfully and develop solutions quickly and effectively
- Will adjust work schedule to meet departmental demands
- Will keep appropriate information confidential
- A minimum of five (5) years general legal and transactional legal experience.
- A Juris Doctorate Degree from an ABA accredited law school.
- A license to practice law in Michigan and be in good standing with the Michigan Bar.
- Industry experience in sports, in-house or with a law firm, or a related field, and the ability/desire to keep up with evolving business strategies relating to team promotion, stadium revenue streams, technology, and media.
- Strong structuring, drafting, negotiating and deal management skills required.
- Excellent writing and communication skills, including the ability to distill complex legal issues into plain English.
- Strong time management and organizational skills, including the ability to manage multiple projects at one time in accordance with strict deadlines with attention to detail.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite.
- Must be dependable, flexible, and able to adapt to a variety of situations, including the ability to work non-standard hours and to be available when off-site.
- May require work out of both the Ford Field Management Office and the Allen Park Training Facility
- A valid Driver’s License and good driving record
In addition to the above, the ideal candidate will possess:
- A strong academic background.
- An ability to develop positive internal and external relationships and a highly team-oriented approach to work.
- An ability to learn and prioritize quickly and demonstrate to business colleagues an understanding of their concerns.
- Exceptionally high standards with regard to legal and business ethics, confidentiality, and professional responsibility.
- An upbeat temperament, dynamic personality.
- An ability to always maintain calm while giving advice in high pressure situations.
- An ability to earn the trust and confidence of colleagues, whether Senior Management or entry-level employees.
- An ability to work independently in a highly dynamic environment.
- A collaborative approach, commitment to teamwork and attention to detail.
- The ability to act professionally and maintain a strong respect for our players’ time, space, and privacy.
COVID-19 & REMOTE WORKING:
The safety of our employees and our candidates is paramount as we manage through the COVID-19 pandemic. We continue to closely monitor the evolving situation and we appreciate your understanding and flexibility with any related changes to our work processes.
We have implemented the following to prevent the spread of COVID-19 in our offices and facilities including:
- Any and all job offers will be contingent upon proof of vaccination or an approved exemption from the requirement due to medical of religious reasons.
- Temperature checks, COVID-19 questionnaire prior to building access, regular cleaning, masks and hand sanitizer.
- Temporary work from home options based on position.
- Suspension of non-essential travel.
- Virtual interviews via phone/video and remote onboarding/training, where feasible.
BENEFITS WE OFFER:
- Top Tier Healthcare Coverage
- 100% Paid Premium for Disability and Employee Life Insurance Coverage
- Health and Dependent Care FSA
- Paid Time Off & 13 Holidays
- Summer Hours
- Free Virtual Fitness Classes
- Enhanced Employee Assistances Programs
- Exclusive Discounts
- Volunteer Opportunities
- Free On-Site Parking
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Cell Phone Stipend
- Company-Wide Events
To apply, please submit a copy of your resume along with a cover letter detailing your interest and related experience to the position.
Due to the high volume or resumes received, we regret that we are unable to update candidates on the status of their application. Those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
NO CALLS or EMAILS PLEASE.
- Pay Type Salary
- Allen Park Training Facility, 222 REPUBLIC DR, Allen Park, Michigan, United States of America