Thermal - Engineer Intern
Provide engineering support at a district energy steam and chilled water system for a broad range of projects and conditions. This may include performing inspections, engineering analysis, calculations, drawings, design and development of plans and specifications, and the writing, preparation, and review of related reports. Review drawings and construction to assure compliance with plans and specifications. Prepare proposals and cost estimates, track and evaluate project progress, budgets, and recommend changes. Research and resolve design and construction problems. Apply sound engineering principles and be able to communicate complex engineering issues and concepts to technical and non-technical clients and project team.
Major Areas of Responsibilities
- Update plant and field drawings to reflect field configurations, provide as built verification, and document inspections of conditions.
- Field inspections, document construction progress, assist with design development and troubleshooting.
- Assist the marketing intern with business development research (bldg. equipment, conditions, cost estimates, etc) primarily in Omaha, but may include other Midwestern cities.
Job Experience, Abilities and Skills Required
- Currently enrolled in a program in pursuit of a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Mechanical, Electrical, Architectural Engineering or related discipline
- Strong familiarity of drafting on CAD software
- Previous field work and familiarity of plant conditions preferred but not required
- Working in a plant and field environment in a variety of working conditions, must adhere to all safety requirements.
- May work with crews in testing, observations and data gathering activities on project sites and prepare daily reports documenting activities and findings.
- Works under the supervision of a Professional Engineer.
- Superior interpersonal and communication skills to be able to interact with customers.
- Passion for research and investigation helpful, either using direct contact verbal skills or web based research tools.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to write communications to customers and give presentations appropriate for various internal organizational levels
- Planning and independent organizational skills.
- Uses discretion concerning confidential and sensitive company information
- Team player; able to work with all levels of the organization.
- Successful candidate should be strong user of MS Excel, Word, PowerPoint and internet search engines – knowledge of CAD software required.
- Ability to travel across the city and potential travel to other NRG locations nationwide or to prospective cities for research and investigation.
Enrolled in a BS or Master’s program pursuing a degree in Mechanical, Electrical, Architectural, Construction Engineering or related field
- Job Family Prof. (Non-Plant)
- Pay Type Hourly
- Omaha, NE, USA