Research Scientist-Safety & Security (Center of Justice Research and Innovation)
Represents level for those with some relevant experience and increasing ability to operate independently. Staff at this level will typically be leading smaller and/or less complex projects, playing a critical role as a team member on projects with specific technical/scientific expertise, or operating as a field rep. Consistently produces high quality analysis.
JOB DESCRIPTION AND/OR DUTIES
1. Routinely produces analysis on structured and unstructured problems that meets CNA’s quality standards with limited direction and general supervision. Demonstrates ability to develop and apply creative and innovative analytic solutions to complex problems with assistance/support from more senior staff. Shows the ability to synthesize analytic results into a broader context. Can lead complex analytic projects with supervision. Begins to make connections and synthesize ideas across multiple, related studies.
2. Develops and maintains deep, specific institutional knowledge and expertise of primary clients/sponsors; their culture, organization, and issues. Uses that knowledge to support training & mentoring of new staff, to support on-going work, and to support development and shaping of new work for existing clients/ sponsors.
3. Balances responsiveness to guidance with independent action. Contributes productively and harmoniously to the work of others; treats everyone respectfully, professionally and fairly. Independently identifies opportunities for collaboration within team, division, and operating unit. Supports supervisor's initiatives and helps make vision a reality. Recognizes and acknowledges contributions from subordinates.
4. Supports business development efforts and/or marketing activities by interacting with CNA managers and current clients/sponsors on securing follow on work (e.g., small grants, or above core projects), expanding or developing new ideas for future projects, and occasionally working with potential clients/sponsors on developing new project ideas. Occasionally serves as internal reviewer of technical proposals.
5. Interacts regularly and independently with clients/sponsors and related parties. Typical interactions are at the "peer equivalent" level, but some level of interaction at senior level. Can effectively represent CNA as an organization.
6. Influences decisions by sponsors/ clients; provide sponsors/clients with implementable recommendations. Occasionally supports efforts to enhance CNA's reputation via publishing and outreach activities.
7. Demonstrates strong and effective communications skills, to include ability to summarize and synthesize larger pieces of work into effective executive summaries/executive briefings. Can effectively present work to more senior and larger audiences. Effectively communicates with & engages colleagues at all levels of the organization.
8. Works under limited direction and general supervision from division management. Can lead projects of low to medium size and/or complexity, as well as significant tasks on large or more complex projects. Effectively manages all aspects of assigned projects, to include delivery of high-quality analytic products on-time, and on-budget.
9. Plays a supporting role in the mentoring and training of new staff individually or as a member of a project team. Regularly demonstrates initiative in pursuing improvements in the quality of our projects and analytic products. Participates in corporate initiatives when asked to do so, and makes contributions to initiatives focused on making CNA a better place to work.
10. Performs other duties as assigned.
1. Education: Minimum Master’s degree in a relevant field or equivalent experience, PhD preferred.
2. Experience: Typical minimum requirements 5+ years of experience in research and analysis.
3. Skills: Ability to work on progressively more difficult projects/analyses, including directing portions of large research projects or small to medium projects under general supervision; Ability to operate independently and proactively in the execution of assignments; Ability to work in a multi-disciplinary environment; Strong critical thinking skills; Knowledge of research techniques; Strong planning and organizational skills; Excellent interpersonal skills; Strong and effective oral and written communication skills; Ability to interact directly and effectively with clients and influence their decisions.
4. Skills: Ability to work on progressively more difficult projects/analyses, including directing portions of large research projects or small to medium projects under general supervision; Ability to operate independently and proactively in the execution of assignments; Ability to work in a multi-disciplinary environment; Strong critical thinking skills; Knowledge of research techniques; Strong planning and organizational skills; Excellent interpersonal skills; Strong and effective oral and written communication skills; Ability to interact directly and effectively with clients and influence their decisions.
***Optional (but highly desired) document***
1. Please include a personal statement as part of your application. A personal statement is a chance for us to get to know you. The statement is your opportunity to share your goals, interests, influences and show us that you will be a valuable asset to our organization. Please click here for personal statement guidelines – Click here
Personal statements will not be used as an elimination criteria for this position. They will only be used to enhance a candidate’s application.
- Job Family Research
- Job Function Career Path I - Research
- Pay Type Salary
- CNA, 3003 Washington Blvd, Arlington, Virginia, United States of America