Executive Chef - Friday Harbor House
Located in the bustling island seaport of Friday Harbor on San Juan Island, Friday Harbor House features spectacular views of the marina, San Juan Channel and Mount Constitution no the neighboring Orcas Island. Surrounded by charming shops, galleries, and restaurants, Friday Harbor House is ideally located just two blocks from the ferry landing in downtown Friday Harbor.
Each of the 24 guestrooms and suites at Friday Harbor House, most newly updated, feature a king bed, fireplace, oversized jetted bathtub, and many feature breathtaking views. The restaurant at Friday Harbor House features an array of fresh fare from the local waters and farms, showcasing a seasonal Island dining experience.
“People never forget how you made them feel.” Maya Angelou’s famous statement serves as a rallying cry throughout Columbia Hospitality and fuels our collective drive - and success.
Our people are our purpose, and our brand is our people. We seek extraordinary individuals who drive our brand promise of Creating Exceptional Experiences. We are a people-first organization, ignited from the inside to succeed on the outside. We are a tight-knit, inclusive, values-driven team and we trust one another to have each other’s backs. We show up every day with open hearts, an inclusive mindset, and a genuine respect for those around us. We have fun, grow together, and strive to leave a positive lasting impression on everyone we meet.
*Eligibility of perks is dependent upon job status
- Paid Time Off (Because Balance Matters)
- 401K Match (Free Money)
- Values Based Culture (#OMGLIFE)
- Benefits - Medical, Dental, Vision, Disability Coverage
- Company Contributed HSA/FSA Plan
- Discounted Lodging, Dining, Spa, Golf, and Retail (Yes, Discounted Travel!)
- Third Party Perks (Movie Tickets, Attractions, Other)
- Company Sponsored Life Insurance Policies
- Employee Assistance Program
- Team Member Outings
- Diverse Work Group
- “Columbia Cares” Volunteer Opportunities
- Committee Participation Opportunities (Fun, Philanthropic, Diversity/Equity/Inclusion)
- Ability to Climb the Ladder
- Online Learning Platform to Help You Grow!
The Brass Tacks
- Maintains responsibility for day-to-day operation of the kitchen and has complete responsibility for the kitchen in its entirety
- Develops and implements procedures to ensure that all work practices meet or exceed the established standards
- Communicates daily with General Manager for updates, changes and revisions to existing contracts
- Maintains standards for food quality, presentation, handling, sanitation and safety. Follows all appropriate policies and procedures
- Ensures timely and courteous follow-through on all client, guest, and team member requests
- Assists in the selection, supervision, training, development, scheduling, evaluating, disciplining, and counseling of staff
- Demonstrates positive leadership characteristics that empower and inspire employees to meet and exceed standards
- Monitors food and labor costs
- Conducts daily walk-through of all walk-in refrigerators, dry storage areas and food lines to ensure rotation, usage, cleanliness and proper sanitation
- Utilizes specification sheets to prepare daily preparation requirements, maintains par levels of necessary items
- Prepares and manages creation of new menu items
- Ensures attractive, consistent presentations of food items, both buffet and plated Interacts/supervises line cooks to monitor quality, presentation and consistency of food items prepared
- Handles all needs and accommodates customer requests in a timely manner
- Sets up, re-stocks, maintains, and cleans food preparation areas
- Responsible for ensuring presentation standards are meet for all hot and cold items
- Reads and interprets recipes
- Conducts product inventories, ordering and receiving of product
- Responsible for team maintenance of grooming standards
- Responsible for team adherence to standards for sanitation and safe food handling
- Responsible for all opening and closing kitchen procedures
The Nitty Gritty
- A culinary arts degree and/or equivalent training with 7+ years in industry and 2+ years of experience in culinary management role in a similar environment
- Must possess excellent business communication skills (both written and verbal) in order to respond effectively to the most sensitive inquiries
- Ability to manage according to employment and industry-relevant laws
- To successfully perform the duties described, conflict management and negotiation skills are required
- Must be flexible and able to perform multiple tasks, work in stressful situations with shifting priorities
- Must be familiar with Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook and other computer programs.
- Must demonstrate excellent people skills and a professional, friendly, and enthusiastic demeanor
- Be detail-oriented, reliable and punctual, and have exceptional organizational skills
- Necessary State Food Handler’s License(s)
The Fine Print
Columbia Hospitality, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer committed to an inclusive environment without regard to age, race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, disability, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or any other protected status in accordance with applicable law. We strive for excellence in every position within the company and select the most qualified people who embrace our service philosophy and these values.
Accountability | Creativity | Enthusiasm | Honesty | Inclusion | Respect
Columbia Hospitality is a national management and consulting company with more than 25 years of experience in creating hospitality solutions and delivering exceptional experiences. Our portfolio includes award-winning hotels and resorts, premier residential communities, restaurants and bars, private and public golf clubs, conference centers, and distinctive venues. Columbia Hospitality has been consistently recognized as one of the Top Companies to Work for in Washington by Seattle Business Magazine and Puget Sound Business Journal for their commitment to creating a fun, dynamic and nurturing work environment for team members.
- Pay Type Salary
- Friday Harbor House, 130 West Street, Friday Harbor, Washington, United States of America