Porter Maintenance Worker; 7520-703-N
31-41 23rd St, Queens, NY 11106, USA Req #2915
Tuesday, May 10, 2022
For over 117 years, Catholic Charities Brooklyn and Queens has been providing quality social services to the neighborhoods of Brooklyn and Queens, and currently offers 160-plus programs and services for children, youth, adults, seniors, and those struggling with mental illness.
One of every five families in the United States suffers from serious housing deprivation. They either live in physically inadequate buildings, suffer from severe overcrowding, or spend an excessive proportion of their income for shelter. Housing costs have increased to the point that millions of families cannot obtain decent housing unless they deprive themselves of other essentials of life. Only fifteen percent of American families can afford to purchase a median-priced new home. Our Catholic tradition insists that shelter is one of the basic rights of the human person.
STATEMENT OF THE JOB:
The Porter/Maintenance Worker works as an integral member of the on-site maintenance team to ensure safe affordable housing is provided and maintained for tenants who live in buildings managed by POP Management, the housing office of Catholic Charities, Brooklyn & Queens. The Porter/Maintenance Worker is responsible to maintain a regular cleaning schedule for the property. The Porte/Maintenance Worker assists with making sure tenant apartments are prepared for occupancy and meet required safety standards. As part of a team, the Porter works closely with on-site recertification and social services staff as well as POPM Facilities staff.
* Work closely and cooperatively with the Superintendent to ensure optimum maintenance of the property.
* Complete routine repairs in the building as needed and ensure documentation on a Service Request Order.
* Work closely and cooperatively with the Superintendent, vendors, contractors, apartment inspections, and monitoring all mechanical systems for proper operation.
* Perform cleaning tasks and follow trash removal guidelines as outlined by the NYC Department of Sanitation. Where compactor in a building, ensure cleaned and operating appropriately.
* Ensure all indoor and outdoor common areas are clean and safe..
* Follow a regular schedule of cleaning daily floors, doors, windows, elevators, lobby, offices, laundry room, common restrooms, and community spaces.
* High School diploma or GED preferred. It may be waived for 1 year experience.
* Experience using equipment: vacuum cleaner, waxer, buffer, snow blower, leaf blower, lawn mower, garbage compactor, etc.
* Able to follow written and verbal directions.
* Ability to read, write, and speak in English.
* Bilingual preferred (Spanish, Korean, Chinese, Russian).
* Bilingual Spanish/English; Russian/English; Chinese/English; Korean/English speaking preferred.
* Able to travel to multiple locations within the five boroughs as needed.
* Frequently lifts and/or moves up to 50 pounds.
We offer competitive salary and excellent benefits including:
* Generous time off (Vacation/ Personal Days/ Sick Days/ Paid Holidays annually)
* Retirement Savings with Agency Match
* Flexible Spending Account
* Life insurance
* Public Loan Forgiveness Qualified Employer
* Training Series and other additional voluntary benefits.
For more information on our organization, please visit our website at:
- Pay Type Hourly
- Min Hiring Rate $34,000.00
- Max Hiring Rate $38,080.00
- 31-41 23rd St, Queens, NY 11106, USA