Peer Advocate Bridger; 4104-208-N
2037 Utica Ave, Brooklyn, NY 11234, USA Req #2790
Monday, May 9, 2022
For over 117 years, Catholic Charities Brooklyn and Queens has been providing quality social services to the neighborhoods of Brooklyn and Queens, and currently offers 160-plus programs and services for children, youth, adults, seniors, and those struggling with mental illness.
The Open Door Psychosocial Club, our rehabilitation center that provides services to individuals with serious and persistent mental illness. The program is open to adults 18 and over. The overall goals of the program are to facilitate healthy socialization within the community, develop basic work skills, improve members’ ability to live and function independently, and reduce psychiatric hospitalizations. These goals are addressed on both an individual and group basis, with group being the primary modality. Group topics include medication management, time and financial management, relapse prevention, smoking cessation, wellness management.
STATEMENT OF THE JOB
The Peer Advocate is under the supervision of the Program Manager II. He / she uses their life experience to assist members with engagement into the program, provides relevant education and support in order to promote and enhance dignity, self-respect and self-reliance in the community, provide mentorship and service as a role model for all members of the program.
* Utilize their experience and knowledge to support consumers/clients in need.
* Provide help to clients to enhance their computer skills, and assist with resume, cover letter writing, online job applications and online job searches.
* Conduct intakes and provide screenings for substance and tobacco abuse, complete WRAP plans and, if necessary, make referrals for further assessment.
* Facilitate groups during program hours and advocate for the members.
* Reach out to community providers to assist with recruiting and conduct presentations for the program.
* Provide mentorship to consumers/clients.
* Provide benefit counseling and escort services to appointments
* The Peer Advocate will assist with trips to job fairs, interviews, and special events.
* High School Diploma or GED.
* Must be a New York Certified Peer Specialist or in the process of completing training.
* Current or former client/consumer of the psychosocial program.
* History of mental illness and at least one year of symptom remission.
* Proven ability to work with people with behavioral disabilities.
* Bilingual Spanish/English; Russian/English; Creole/English; Chinese/English; Korean/English speaking preferred.
* Ability to travel
We offer competitive salary and excellent benefits including:
* Generous time off (Vacation/ Personal Days/ Sick Days/ Paid Holidays annually)
* Retirement Savings with Agency Match
* Flexible Spending Account
* Life insurance
* Public Loan Forgiveness Qualified Employer
* Training Series and other additional voluntary benefits.
For more information on our organization, please visit our website at:
- Pay Type Hourly
- Min Hiring Rate $5,460.00
- Max Hiring Rate $6,115.20
- Travel Required Yes
- Required Education High School
- 2037 Utica Ave, Brooklyn, NY 11234, USA