Assistant Teacher; 5438-205-N
ABOUT OUR EARLY CHILDHOOD DEVELOPMENT CENTERS
Our Early Childhood Development Centers provide education, health, nutrition, and parent-community involvement services to children from low-income families. Through the Montessori approach, the center ensures children are ready for school by providing a variety of developmentally appropriate activities that promote cognitive, social, emotional and physical development. Our Early Head Start Centers are open to children age 6 weeks old to 3 years old. Additionally, our Head Start Programs are open to children age 3 years old to 5 years old.
STATEMENT OF THE JOB
The Assistant Teacher will assist the Teacher to plan and execute age and developmentally appropriate activities reflecting the Montessori curriculum. Responsibilities include but are not limited to assist the Teacher to maintain the written documentation/reports in order to meet compliance standards of CCNS, ACS, DOH, CACFP, and other overseeing agencies relevant to NYFD; help to facilitate parent involvement in all aspects of the program and promote positive growth and professional development.
- Ensures a learning environment based on the Montessori approach that helps the children develop, physically, emotionally, socially, cognitively, and creatively.
- Supervises the implementation of activities that will promote social, emotional, cognitive, physical, and creative development of children.
- Assumes responsibility for the operation of the classroom in the absence of the Teacher.
- Shares information regarding children and the program with parents via daily contact and informal/formal interfacings, home visits, newsletters, etc.
- Encourage parents in their role as their children’s primary teachers by acting as resource person (i.e.: disseminating information, actively listening to parents, offering suggestions, etc.).
- Complete written observations, progress reports, outcomes reporting, CROWD, and other documents relevant to the tracking of children’s progress.
- Works closely with parents to foster mutual respect on all levels.
- Assists Teacher in performing center- related services/activities such as parent/teacher conferences, home visits, transition meetings, end of year celebrations, etc. Shares job related knowledge with team members so as to promote and support their professional growth.
- Encourages parents to visit classrooms to observe as well as volunteer during the course of the day.
- Assists Teacher to utilize information obtained via observations, conference, tracking, etc. to design developmentally appropriate and individualized lesson plans.
- BA or BS degree in Education or 60 credits including 24 credits in Education preferred.
- Minimum of a minimum of 30 college credits required.
- CDA credential or a state-awarded certificate that meets or exceeds the requirements for a CDA credential, are enrolled in a program that will lead to an associate’s degree or baccalaureate degree or, are enrolled in a CDA credential program to be completed within two years of the time of hire.
- 2 years teaching experience in a pre-school classroom preferred
- Montessori trained or must commit to enroll in the Agency’s Montessori training program within the first year of hire and complete the training as required.
- Frequent sitting, standing, walking, talking, hearing, seeing, stooping, kneeling crawling, crouching.
- Occasional running.
- Must be able to occasionally lift and/or move up to 30 pounds
- We offer competitive salary and excellent benefits including:
- Generous time off (Vacation/ Personal Days/ Sick Days/ Paid Holidays anually)
- Retirement Savings with Agency Match
- Life insurance
- Public Loan Forgiveness Qualified Employer
- Training Series and other additional voluntary benefits.
For more information on our organization, please visit our website at: www.ccbq.org EOE/AA.
- Pay Type Hourly
- Min Hiring Rate $29,221.53
- Max Hiring Rate $31,845.58
- Required Education Associate Degree
- 300 Vernon Ave, Brooklyn, NY 11206, USA