Demonstrations Theatre: Program Presenter I
Carnegie Science Center seeks a creative, flexible, and energetic individual for PART TIME DEMONSTRATION THEATERS PROGRAM PRESENTER I to join our dynamic team!
Nothing makes science come alive like seeing it happen in front of your eyes! Shows in our Live Demonstration Theaters are designed to delight and inspire visitors of all ages. From explosive reactions, to the chemistry of cooking, to the basics of biology, a live program offers the kind of science experience you can’t get anywhere else!
This position is responsible for performing science programs, both large and small in format across various locations throughout the Science Center. Presenters assist the public throughout their visit to ensure maximum enjoyment about CSC.
Successful candidate will utilize high degree of people skills to initiate warm, friendly engagement experiences for visitors of all ages. Ability and eagerness to work in a fast-paced, ever-changing environment is a must. Attention to detail, exceptional communication and computer skills, an ability to work on your feet and showing initiative will be required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, & ABILITIES:
- An affinity for science; views science as fun.
- Strong theater experience or ability to effectively present before a person, small or large group.
- A flexible work schedule that includes regular weekend work, holidays, and frequent evening assignments
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- A strong “can-do” attitude and creative troubleshooting and problem-solving skills.
- A “people person” with a friendly, outgoing personality.
- Full mobility throughout the Science Center and the various theaters.
- Walking and standing within museum, sometimes for extended periods.
- Ability to lift/carry up to 40 pounds.
- Working in areas where food is processed including nuts, eggs and other dairy products as well as chemicals used for science education.
- Learn and perform science programs, both large and small in format, in the Science Center to ensure quality presentations. Communication of accurate information, and an enjoyable visit by the public, including assisting the public in the use of exhibits, performing formal theater presentations, and facilitating demonstrations for special events.
- Actively seek out and engage guests in conversation, exploration and experimentation using strategies which may include inquiry, adapting to the audience, making STEM content relevant and fun, personalizing experiences and using positive reinforcement and appropriate humor to provide exceptional guest experiences.
- Provide excellent customer service to visitors by assisting with problem solving and crowd control.
- Ability to handle equipment and supplies in areas of assigned duties, which includes working with the Van de Graaf Generator, Tesla Coil, liquid nitrogen, food prep, kitchen equipment, chemicals, lasers, LED lighting, and assorted audiovisual equipment.
- Maintain excellent working relationships with other staff including volunteers. Be aware of and adhere to CSC mission, vision and values.
- Be the front-line source of action by contacting the appropriate people when medical or other emergencies occur (security, managers, etc.), knowing where emergency equipment is stored and being familiar with proper emergency procedures.
- Stay current with new exhibits and programs in the Science Center, and their associated science content by doing background reading and attending training seminars. Assist assigned team in generating new program ideas.
Play an active role on assigned team by attending and positively participating in meetings, and working closely with other team members to ensure high quality programming.
- Pay Type Hourly
- Carnegie Science Center, 1 Allegheny Avenue, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States of America