Multimedia Copy Editor & Designer
The Richmond Times-Dispatch is looking for a versatile multi-media
and multi-talented copy editor and page designer who has the traditional skills
of the trade — a critical mind, solid command of AP style, top-notch
headline-writing abilities, an eye for print design and the ability to do it
all on deadline — as well as 21st-century digital savvy, such as social media
proficiency and SEO skills. Our ideal candidate is a news and culture junkie
who can discuss local politics, foreign affairs and what to watch on Netflix.
Someone who can not only copy edit, design, write and handle anything and
everything that will come at them on deadline, but also work on a long-term
special projects and enterprise for our print and digital products.
The RTD is committed to community
journalism. To join our team, submit a résumé, cover letter and your five best
print or web headlines, designs and/or projects (print or web).
* Edit news, business and feature stories (and possibly sports)
* Use strong news judgment and attention to detail to identify
problems in stories and collaboratively work toward solutions
* Balance multiple assignments and priorities on deadline
* Write engaging, keyword-filled headlines, as well as cutlines
that complement stories
* Uphold standards in a fast-paced environment
* Pull wire stories and prepare them for publication
* Help keep Richmond.com up to date through our content management
* Quickly and efficiently build and design print news pages
* Build and design multi-media packages for Richmond.com,
including photo galleries, video, interactive graphics, charts, etc.
* Bachelor's degree in journalism, English or related discipline
* Two years of experience at a daily newspaper
* Be a strong communicator, with excellent interpersonal skills,
who works with desk colleagues and newsroom departments in a professional
* Able to work a flexible schedule, including nights and weekends
- Pay Type Hourly
- Richmond, VA, USA