Senior Property Manager
Senior Property Manager, Ninth Square - New Haven, CT
General Statement of Duties: Works independently to manage and resolve all site management related issues for residential residents and commercial/retail tenants. This individual should be familiar with housing, commercial and retail management, budgeting, housing agency regulations related terminology and have a commitment to community building. Further, this individual must have the demonstrated capacity to work as an active member of a team comprised of on-site and off-site human service providers as well as an active resident community, to participate in joint decision-making processes and to balance competing objectives.
Supervision Received: Reports to Regional Vice President.
Supervision Exercised: Manages direct reports as assigned.
Essential Functions of the Position: (Any one position may not include all of the duties listed, nor do the listed examples include all duties that may be found in positions of this class.)
Manages financial operations of the site following company and government agency rules, regulations and guidelines.
- Develops, monitors and oversees all site management related programs, policies, plans, rules, regulations, contracts and agreements in accordance with corporate policies.
- Prepares annual operating budget; monitors and performs budget projections.
- Prepares 5 and 20-year capital needs studies.
- Ensures agency regulation compliance and deadlines for documentation.
- Prepares all reports, including monthly management, weekly marketing, delinquency/ occupancy, bad debt write-off, and expense reports.
- Reconciles reports to General Ledger and approves vendor invoices and cash receipt batches.
- Monitors energy/utility consumption.
- Supervises rent collection.
- Prepares quarterly replacement reserve withdrawal requests to appropriate agencies/lenders.
- Oversee collection of retail checks, maintain lease agreements, show spaces to potential retail lessees.
- Authorizes inventory and maintenance purchases.
- Monitors turnovers and major replacements.
- Provides information and fulfills requests from corporate office staff.
- Special projects as assigned by Regional Vice President.
Represents Beacon Communities to the public and collaboratively develops a partnership with local public officials, local businesses and agencies.
- Meets with Resident Services Coordinator to establish property work plans and develop course of action.
- Responds to questions and complaints from the public.
Manages the rental program utilizing forms, documents, and computer programs following company, HUD, and LIHTC, and/or Public Housing guidelines to assure eligibility for continued occupancy.
- Oversees all aspects of rental/management office. Monitors all rental programs, waiting lists
- and administers all renting and leasing procedures-market and low-income housing tax
- Oversees the Administration of the ADA/Section 504 reasonable accommodation policy.
- Oversees leasing process, income certifications/recertifications, and approves agency billing.
- Ensures affirmative action compliance and reporting.
- Oversees move-ins/outs, security deposits, transfers, rent changes and Guest Card input into
- Oversees or handles evictions when appropriate.
Oversees building, grounds maintenance and security of property and follows company and HUD rules, regulations and guidelines to ensure grounds and units are properly maintained.
- Monitors and ensures execution of all aspects of site safety, accident and insurance reporting
- and emergency and media training.
- Negotiates contracts for services and supplies.
- Oversees service orders in Yardi.
Fosters a positive, active and collaborative relationship with residents and retail tenants and coordinates residents’ services for units.
- Conducts resident meetings.
- Responds to questions and complaints from residents.
- Assists with new resident orientation.
- Investigates complaints, disturbances, violations. Resolves problems.
Manages staff and oversees hiring, termination, status changes and performance management decisions.
- Conducts performance and compensation appraisals.
- Sets standards for work performance and communicates standards to employees.
- Conducts weekly staff meetings.
- Trains and develops employees, including new hire 90-day assessment/feedback.
Performs site inspections for continued compliance following company, HUD, and LIHTC rules and regulations, policies and procedures.
- Handles all aspects of site and unit inspections.
- Interacts with housing and human service agency personnel, lenders and investors.
Oversees or conducts and coordinates all marketing activities to promote the property.
- Markets units to prospects, guests, etc.
- Completes market surveys.
- Conducts all resident retention events and activities.
- Conducts outreach to local businesses and organizations to promote the property.
Education: Bachelor’s degree in related field (Business Administration, Real Estate or Public Administration preferable), or equivalent knowledge or experience.
Experience: Three years of related work experience to include CPHM (Certified Public Housing Manager), LIHTC (Low Income Housing Tax Credit) or CPM (Certified Property Manager) certification preferable and some level of commercial real estate experience. Experience as a manager or assistant manager of a public or private apartment/condo complex with responsibilities for leasing/admission, maintenance, management of administrative, maintenance or contract employees, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Qualifications, Abilities and Skills: Must be familiar with housing management, budgeting, housing agency regulations and if applicable, the Low-Income Housing Tax Credit Program, HUD, conventional, (market rate) and/or Hope VI (mixed income/public housing) programs. The candidate must possess strong organizational and management skills and the demonstrated ability to work as a critical member of a team that is committed to building strong communities. Proficient with Microsoft Word and Excel. Yardi proficiency preferred. Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Self-motivated, flexible, and detail oriented. Ability to interact effectively with persons of all ethnic and educational backgrounds to include listening, sensitivity to other’s feelings, needs and point of view. Tact and courtesy in all interactions.
Working Conditions: Ability to physically inspect the properties in their entirety to include walking/climbing stairs, and ability to withstand all weather conditions. Must respond to ‘after hours’ emergencies.
Special Requirements: Must possess and maintain a vehicle and valid driver’s license with an insurable driving record history to obtain and maintain employment.
Beacon Core Competencies required for all positions:
Teamwork, Integrity/Ethics, Dependability, Customer Focus, Adaptability/Flexibility.
Beacon Management Competencies required for all Management positions:
Decision-Making/Judgement, Communication, Budgets/Cost Control, Managing for Results, People Development.
Senior Property Manager Functional Job Competencies required:
Job Knowledge, Problem Solving/Analysis, Interpersonal Skills, Computer Skills, Hiring.
Beacon Communities LLC seeks a diverse pool of candidates. We are committed to a policy of equal employment opportunity without regard to race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, disability, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, veteran status or other protected class.
- Medical, Dental and Vision insurance, beginning on the first of the month after hire.
- 401(k) with company match, short term disability and long term disability insurance.
- 3 weeks’ paid vacation, 13 paid holidays.
- Summer flex scheduling options to allow for early releases on Friday from Memorial Day to Labor Day.
- Job Family Property Management
- Pay Type Salary
- Required Education Some College
- New Haven, CT, USA