Collections Manager - JMM - Collections
We believe in the mission of our work. We believe that together, we are able to accomplish something life-changing, both for ourselves and for those around us. The Associated strives to find the most talented and dedicated individuals. We are committed to helping our professionals reach their highest potential. Ready for a change? Discover where vision, creativity, and talent come together.
The Jewish Museum of Maryland (JMM), a dynamic, growing museum of regional Jewish history and culture, seeks a creative and enthusiastic Collections Manager. The Collections Manager will oversee JMM’s object collection, including maintaining and updating the museum’s collections storage areas and database, accessioning and deaccessioning objects, handling preservation and conservation needs, and facilitating access to materials.
NOTE: All active full-time, part-time, and temporary staff are required to provide proof of full vaccination (COVID-19) as a condition of employment within The Associated system as of November 15, 2021.
In this role, you will be responsible for:
- Maintaining JMM’s collections database, including registration of new acquisitions, as well as updating legacy records.
- Enhancing access to materials through descriptive work, building digital infrastructure, and collaborating across departments on outreach efforts.
- Caring for the museum’s object collections, including managing collections storage areas, identifying and mitigating risks to the collection, and managing the conservation of materials as needed.
- Researching, developing, and implementing Collections policies with the assistance of the museum’s Archivist and Collections Committee.
- Assisting researchers in-person, and via phone and email
- Degree in Museum Studies or equivalent
- At least three years working in museum collections and familiarity with collections management databases
- Knowledge of Museum registration practices, including creating and maintaining database records for historical objects
- Experience with collections care, including general handling, storage, and preservation of objects.
- Experience handling acquisitions and loans, including processing administrative paperwork, coordinating insurance, and managing deeds of gifts.
- Experience communicating and coordinating with collections donors
- Experience inventorying collections, performing preservation assessments, and conducting in-depth research on collections
- Experience deaccessioning collections, including determining legal status, tracking deaccessioning processes, and coordinating disposal of materials.
- Development and implementation of collections policies
- Experience supervising interns and/or volunteers in a museum setting
- Familiarity with PastPerfect
Why You’ll Love Working Here
We offer a work environment that supports professional development and collaboration. We offer a comprehensive benefits package, including health insurance, life insurance, Long Term Disability (LTD), Flexible Spending Plan, and a complementary membership to the Jewish Community Center. We make work/life balance a priority offering generous vacation/sick time and parental leave.
Salary is approximately $50,000. Salary will be based on qualifications and skills.
To learn more about The Jewish Museum of Maryland visit: https://jewishmuseummd.org/
The Jewish Museum of Maryland is an equal opportunity employer that values a diverse workforce and an inclusive culture. The JMM is dedicated to advancing racial and social justice and holds a deep sense of care and commitment to the communities within which we live and work.
This job ad is not intended to be all-inclusive, but to describe the general nature and level of work to be performed.
The Associated: Jewish Community Federation of Baltimore and its Agencies are equal opportunity employers, dedicated to a policy of non-discrimination in employment on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, marital status, citizenship, veteran's status, physical or mental disability that does not prohibit the performance of essential job functions (with or without reasonable accommodation) or any other basis protected by federal, or applicable, state or local law.
- Job Family JMM
- Pay Type Salary
- Baltimore, MD, USA