Associate Director, Arts In Education & Community Programs
405 W 55th St, New York, NY 10019, USA Req #136
Friday, June 17, 2022
Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater, one of the world’s premier dance institutions, is seeking a motivated and personable team player to work in the Arts In Education & Community Programs (AIE) department. The Associate Director will report to the Director, Arts In Education & Community Programs, and be responsible for supporting strategic initiatives and the day-to-day implementation of the arts in education initiatives of Alvin Ailey Dance Foundation (AADF), including partnerships with Pre-K–12 schools, AileyCamps, National Outreach, and Community Programs for adults. Candidates should be self-motivated, highly organized and detail oriented with strong leadership skills.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Work closely with the AIE Director on the implementation of the AADF Strategic Plan, AileyDance for Active Aging, AileyDance Kids (ADK) SOAR for special needs students, and other funded programs for schools and organizations.
• With the AIE Director, develop an annual plan for the professional development of AIE Teaching Artists and Musicians, overseeing its implementation
• Oversee the development of the AileyDance for Active Aging (ADAA) curriculum, working closely with the AIE Director and project consultant. Tasks include: observations of teaching artists working with older adults, reviewing and editing drafts of the curriculum, and managing the design and layout of the final draft
• With the AIE Director, design a professional development program to train staff and teaching artists from other dance companies to implement the ADAA curriculum in their own communities.
• Manage the day-to-day implementation of residencies and other AIE services in funded Pre-K – 12 schools, and adult community centers and residential homes, which entails:
o Serving as liaison to the schools and organizations regarding all residency details including assigning the Teaching Artists and Musicians (AIE Artists) and managing their implementation details
o Conducting site visits, facilitating meetings with school staff, and making observations of AIE work in schools
o Organizing culminating performances, and other AIE activities at each school or organization
• Represent the AIE Director at senior management meetings and other internal or external meetings as needed
• Represent the AIE department at arts in education conferences and fairs
• Supervise project interns and part-time coordinators
• Work closely with the AIE Business Manager, AIE Assistant, and other AIE staff as required
• Other administrative tasks as required for the successful work of the AIE department
• Bachelor’s Degree with ten plus years’ experience in the arts, or arts-related field and non-profit administration
• Must possess strong interpersonal, verbal, and written skills, with a pleasant and respectful communication style
• Strong, detail-oriented project management and leadership skills, with the ability to prioritize tasks and meet deadlines while managing multiple projects and overseeing client needs simultaneously
• Must have strong computer and online technology skills including Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, database experience, and online platforms for video conferencing
• Must be a willing and flexible team player, showing initiative to do what needs to be done to get the job done
• Must be able to accommodate a flexible schedule that includes evenings and weekends; willingness to travel within the local metro area
To apply for this position visit https://www.alvinailey.org/about/job-opportunities, locate the job and click on the apply link and upload one file (accepted formats include .doc, .docx, .txt, or .pdf) that contains the following items:
• Cover letter detailing your interest in this position
• Contact information for three professional references
No phone calls please.
- Pay Type Salary
- 405 W 55th St, New York, NY 10019, USA