The R&D Director is responsible for leading an interdisciplinary technology organization in the development of new products and processes, while creating a deep scientific knowledge platform to drive long term growth for the Chemical Intermediates group in line with business strategy and our key customers.
A proven R&D leader with a strong background in chemical synthesis and experience in new process development is required to successfully upgrade the R&D organization and bring product innovation to the market.
The R&D Director will be responsible for driving discovery research, translating customer market opportunities to science and development paths and the translation of new technologies from internal bench scale to pre-pilot and full-scale commercialization using both internal and external sources.
In addition, the R&D Director plays a key role in upgrading critical existing process technologies to deliver targeted benefits and improved measurable financial results.
The role will be responsible for leading projects through AdvanSix’s Stage-Gate portfolio management process, working closely with multiple functions including Marketing, Sales, Operations, Product Stewardship and the Intellectual Property teams.
Duties and Responsibilities:
· Lead, mentor and develop the inter-disciplinary CI R&D team including synthetic chemists, process chemists and engineers, analytical chemists and application experts, to deliver high-impact discovery research for new products and processes translating to meaningful, sustainable market opportunities,
· Own and drive the entire CI technology projects portfolio from idea generations through discovery research and end market validation and ensuring milestones are met and decisions are being made in a timely manner through the Stage-Gate process
· Develop the R&D technology team, upgrading intellectual curiosity, scientific rigor, creativity and commercial mindset to meet growth needs.
· Oversee bench to pre-pilot scale chemistry internally and externally and scope, design and build small scale process equipment in internal and external labs and pilot plants
· Coordinate development of the premise, business case, and execution plan for key growth and capacity improvement programs/projects
· Manage the key R&D interface with Engineering, Operations, Capital, Marketing, Sales, Product Stewardship and Intellectual Property / legal functions
· Ensure application work in place to assess customer needs and IP applicability
· Contribute to AdvanSix’s IP creation, freedom to practice and freedom to innovate
· Oversee preliminary manufacturing process modeling, simulation, and economic model creation
· Provide process support and advanced trouble shooting, including root cause analysis for existing and new products
· Bachelor’s degree in chemistry or chemical engineering; with PhD in chemistry strongly preferred with emphasis in synthetic organic chemistry, process chemistry, and discovery research
· 10+ years of experience in chemicals or petrochemicals R&D, with demonstrated results in delivering chemical innovations of commercial value in those industries
· 5+ years of experience with direct team supervision or R&D administrative project leadership experience
· Demonstrated ability to effectively lead teams to deliver results via multiple complex technical programs
· Ability to integrate and influence across multiple functions within the organization to deliver results
· In-depth understanding of reaction mechanisms and kinetics, and a fluency in how structures impact functions of chemical compounds
· Proven track record of driving discovery research linked to market needs, launch of new and innovative chemicals and leading projects to full commercial success, ideally with new process capability as part of the success (internal and/or external)
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills required
· Ability to lead and collaborate with cross-functional teams
· Ability to develop scientific talent
· Chemical tolling experience
· Assertive, results-oriented leader with the ability to collaborate across multi-disciplinary teams in a fast paced, results oriented matrix organization
· Ability to understand business financials and prioritize technology programs to drive business profitability
· Ability to gather competitive intelligence especially on competitor’s production process and products
· Strategic thinker with strong data-driven bias and problem-solving skills and a keen focus on scientific learning
· Demonstrated process development experience with design for Six Sigma experience a plus
- Job Family RD01 - Technology R&D
- Pay Type Salary
- Chester, VA, USA