Research Specialist - China Studies Program
Support China and Indo-Pacific Security Affairs Division projects and other corporate needs including through (1) collecting, processing, vetting, and analyzing pertinent data for further use and/or (2) conducting technical assistance activities such as planning and organizing meetings and seminars, and/or (3) supporting the process of developing and submitting proposals through collecting and organizing resumes, past performance reports, and corporate capabilities.
JOB DESCRIPTION AND/OR DUTIES
1. Apply standard research methodologies to gather, process, and analyze data (both English-language- and Asian-language-data). Use relevant database software to effectively organize and present data and generate reports. Demonstrate facility at the intermediate level with Microsoft Office and other standard CNA software packages to accomplish primary duties.
2. Develop a basic familiarity with the missions and organizational structure of the division or team's major client/sponsors.
3. Participate in meetings with project team. Support preparation for client/sponsor interactions. Identify client/sponsor POC for their projects.
4. Develop a sufficient understanding or expertise on specific tasks, issues or data so as to make a positive contribution to project outcomes.
5. Develop basic knowledge about CNA, its organization, key personnel and personalities, and relevant CNA standard operating procedures (SOPs), to include basic knowledge of CNA business environment. Understand the concepts of core, above core, and above ceiling/ domestic. Have basic awareness of the project development process.
6. Possess the skills necessary to communicate information concisely, precisely, and in a grammatically correct manner in oral and written communication. Present and summarize data effectively.
7. Work under close supervision on focused, well-structured pieces of projects. Tracks personal project spending.
8. Exhibit a positive attitude in interactions with colleagues, clients/sponsors, and staff. Take initiative offering assistance when opportunities arise.
9. Perform other duties as assigned.
1. Education: Bachelor’s degree in related field or equivalent experience required.
2. Experience: Minimum 0 years relevant experience required.
3. Skills: Ability to conduct research in English as well as other Asian languages.
Basic computer skills; Microsoft Office; database management; good interpersonal and oral and written communication skills; strong critical thinking and organizational skills.
*Selected applicants will be asked to complete a translation assessment as part of the interview process
4. Professional-level Mandarin language capabilities, experience conducting research on nuclear issues, PRC-military modernization, PRC political economy and finance, US-India relations, or ASEAN issues are highly desirable.
5. Other - Ability to obtain and maintain a security clearance
1. Please include transcripts as part of your application to be considered for this position.
To enhance your application (optional)
1. Please include a cover letter or a writing sample
A cover letter should introduce yourself, briefly summarize your professional background, explain why you are a good candidate and the reason for your personal interest in applying for this job.
***Voluntary (but highly desired) document***
Please include a personal statement as part of your application. A personal statement is a chance for us to get to know you. The statement is your opportunity to share your goals, interests, influences and show us that you will be a valuable asset to our organization. Please click here for personal statement guidelines – Click here
Personal statements will not be used as an elimination criteria for this position. They will only be used to enhance a candidate’s application
- Job Family Research
- Job Function Career Path II - Expert & Research Specialist
- CNA, 3003 Washington Blvd, Arlington, Virginia, United States of America