Systems Engineer II (Systems Modernization)-Enterprise Systems & Data Analysis Research
CNA is currently seeking a Systems Engineer for our Enterprise Systems and Data Analysis (ESDA) division within Institute for Public Research. You can join a strong team supporting the acquisition and implementation of modernized information management systems within the government.
This position will contribute to the design and implementation of new and enhanced systems to modernize the delivery of aeronautical information to internal and external consumers.
This is an opportunity to support government clients and enhance their system capabilities of aviation services. The Systems Engineer will be a key team member, eliciting stakeholder needs, generating and analyzing system requirements, developing and validating functional and system architectures, and evaluating the application and trade-offs of various technologies. This is all while applying an understanding of impacts and considerations on the national airspace system. The role will contribute recommendations based on recent advances, best practices, and gaps in the application of systems to implement modern systems and technologies that advance the future of aviation while continuing to ensure its safety.
Supports systems, data, and operations analysis, requirements and systems development analysis and design. Supports independent scientific and technical investigations. Applies formal, established engineering and management principles to specifications and documentation of systems developed.
JOB DESCRIPTION AND/OR DUTIES
1. Supports the definition and development of system requirements and documentation of the requirements in detailed specifications from which programs will be developed and/or procured, and from which hardware will be developed and/or procured.
2. Under general supervision, supports formulation, validation, documentation, and definition of user requirements or stories, system use cases, business process workflows, enterprise architectures, system specifications and design based on user needs, research, and fact-finding.
3. Supports stakeholder engagement sessions to elicit user needs, business architectures, processes, and gaps. Works with stakeholders to understand, characterize, model, analyze, and validate current and future business processes, information flows, organizational relationships, and/or operational resources.
4. Applies standard research methodologies to gather, process, document, and analyze data. Uses relevant database software to effectively organize and present data and generate reports.
5. Works independently on pieces of projects. Work under general supervision on broader strands of the project. Maintains an understanding of project budgeting and financial tracking over the project lifecycle.
6. Devises or modifies procedures and specifications to solve complex problems, considering computer equipment capacity and limitations, operating time, and form of desired results.
7. Designs conceptual and logical data models to be used in systems using UML and entity Relationship diagrams. Develops data dictionaries, schemas, data flows, and ontologies. Supports development and execution of data migration strategies.
8. Support development of information management strategies and governance aligned with organizational mission needs.
9. Supports analysis and revision of existing system logic difficulties and documentation as necessary.
10. Supports resolution of difficult and complicated program support deficiencies.
11. Works with software developers to provide guidance on development issues. Ensures user needs are accurately represented to system designers and developers.
12. Supports development of independent validation and verification plans and scenarios, following industry standards and system requirements
13. Maintains familiarity with the missions and organizational structure of the division or team's major client/sponsors.
14. Drafts reports, briefings, or other project deliverables. Structure problems of advanced scope, technical assistance or proposal development tasks.
1. Education: Bachelor's degree in computer science, mathematics, operations research, or a related engineering field or equivalent combination of education and work experience.
2. Experience: Minimum of 4 years relevant work experience performing duties similar to those listed above in a Government contract environment or 6 years generally related experience. Experience supporting Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) preferred.
3. Skills: Ability to participate in a wide variety of systems engineering disciplines including, but not limited to, safety risk management, reliability/maintainability/availability engineering, information systems security, risk management practices, earned value management, investment analysis, independent validation and verification, business analysis, and project definition, management, and control. Ability to construct effective briefings using MS PowerPoint and intermediate to advanced skills with MS Word and Excel and other standard software packages. Ability to communicate information concisely, precisely, and in a grammatically correct manner in both oral and written communication. Ability to present and summarize data effectively. Exhibit a positive attitude in interactions with colleagues, clients/sponsors, and staff. Strong customer and client relations management skills. Working knowledge of system and software design processes, tools, and techniques. Working knowledge of system development and testing documentation and standards. Working knowledge of data and information management analysis techniques and best practices. Working knowledge of different software development life-cycles, to include waterfall and agile methodologies. Ability to work with and provide direction to others. Excellent writing and verbal communication skills.
4. Other: Ability to obtain and maintain security clearance is required.
- Job Family Systems/Software Engineering
- Job Function Career Path II - Expert & Research Specialist
- Pay Type Salary
- CNA, 3003 Washington Blvd, Arlington, Virginia, United States of America