Systems Engineer III (Systems Modernization)-Enterprise Systems & Data Analysis Research
CNA is currently seeking a Systems Engineer for our Enterprise Systems and Data Analysis (ESDA) division within Institute for Public Research. You can join a strong team supporting the acquisition and implementation of modernized information management systems within the government.
This position will contribute to the design and implementation of new and enhanced systems to modernize the delivery of aeronautical information to internal and external consumers.
This is an opportunity to support government clients and enhance their system capabilities of aviation services. The Systems Engineer will be a key team member, eliciting stakeholder needs, generating and analyzing system requirements, developing and validating functional and system architectures, and evaluating the application and trade-offs of various technologies. This is all while applying an understanding of impacts and considerations on the national airspace system. The role will contribute recommendations based on recent advances, best practices, and gaps in the application of systems to implement modern systems and technologies that advance the future of aviation while continuing to ensure its safety.
Conducts systems, data, and operations analysis, requirements and systems development analysis and design. Conducts independent scientific and technical investigations. Applies formal, established engineering and management principles to specifications and documentation of systems developed.
JOB DESCRIPTION AND/OR DUTIES
1. Conducts the definition and development of system requirements and documentation of the requirements in detailed specifications from which programs will be developed and/or procured, and from which hardware will be developed and/or procured. Manages the requirements change management process.
2. Formulates, defines, validates, and documents system scope and objectives, user requirements or stories, system use cases, business process workflows, enterprise architectures, system specifications and design based on user needs and specifications, research, and fact-finding.
3. Conducts stakeholder engagement sessions to elicit user needs, business architectures, processes, and gaps. Works with stakeholders to understand, characterize, model, analyze, and validate current and future business processes, data requirements, information flows, organizational relationships, and/or operational resources.
4. Applies standard research methodologies to gather, process, document, and analyze data. Uses relevant database software to effectively organize and present data and generate reports.
5. Conducts projects or pieces of larger projects. Maintains an understanding of project budgeting and financial tracking over the project lifecycle.
6. Devises or modifies specifications and procedures including: system design, requirements, verification, systems performance and capacity.
7. Designs conceptual and logical data models to be used in systems using UML and entity Relationship diagrams. Develops data dictionaries, schemas, data flows, and ontologies. Develops and executes data migration strategies.
8. Develops information management strategies and governance aligned with organizational mission needs.
9. Analyzes and revises existing system interfaces, dependencies and documentation as necessary. Recommends changes and solutions for software and system problems and deficiencies.
10. Conducts independent technical investigations in systems design or other systems engineering topics.
11. Works with software developers to provide guidance on development issues. Ensures user needs are accurately represented to system designers and developers.
12. Leads development of independent validation and verification plans and scenarios, following industry standards and traceability to user/system requirements.
13. Develops key relationships with the division or team's major client/sponsors.
14. Drafts reports, briefings, or other project deliverables.
1. Education: Bachelor's degree in computer science, mathematics, operations research, or a related engineering field or equivalent combination of education and work experience.
2. Experience: Minimum of 5 years relevant work experience performing duties similar to those above in a Government contract environment or 7 years of generally related experience. Experience supporting Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) preferred.
3. Skills: Ability to participate in a wide variety of systems engineering disciplines including, but not limited to, safety risk management, reliability/maintainability/availability engineering, information systems security, risk management practices, earned value management, investment analysis, independent validation and verification, business analysis, and project definition, management, and control. Ability to construct effective briefings using MS PowerPoint and advanced skills with MS Word and Excel and other standard software packages. Ability to communicate information concisely, precisely, and in a grammatically correct manner in both oral and written communication. Ability to present and summarize data effectively. Exhibit a positive attitude in interactions with colleagues, clients/sponsors, and staff. Strong customer and client relations management skills supportive of success in attaining research and engineering objectives in an environment that include a wide variety of stakeholders with differing viewpoints and approaches to solving problems. Knowledge of and experience with system and software design processes, tools and techniques. Knowledge of and experience with system development and testing documentation and standards. Knowledge of and experience with data and information management analysis techniques and best practices. Knowledge of and experience with different system development life cycles, to include waterfall and agile methodologies. Ability to work with and provide directions to others. Excellent writing and verbal communication skills. Ability to lead technical project teams.
4. Other: Ability to obtain and maintain security clearance is required.
- Job Family Systems/Software Engineering
- Job Function Career Path II - Expert & Research Specialist
- Pay Type Salary
- CNA, 3003 Washington Blvd, Arlington, Virginia, United States of America