Data Analyst II - Data Science Division
Data Analysts II in the Data Science Division work on projects to develop advanced analytics and algorithms for the Department of the Navy and other government agencies to ensure America's defense in the 21st century. Data Analyst II apply CNA's unique approach to analytics that combines an understanding of the technical data science capabilities with experience from military exercises, operations and sponsors.
1. Leverage R and/or Python to develop machine learning models for, e.g., regression, classification, natural language processing, and/or image recognition.
2. Familiarity with Navy and Marine Corps operations, maintenance, supply, training, and personnel datasets.
3. Extract, transform, load (ETL) data from various data sources in order to initiate analysis.
4. Conduct data preparation including cleaning, wrangling, joining, and converting data in order to provide a useable analytic dataset.
5. Conduct Exploratory Data Analysis (EDA) to include the use of data visualizations (e.g. Dash, MATPLOTLIB, R Shiny, ggplot2, Power BI, etc.), correlations, empirical/theoretical distributions of data, and summary statistics.
6. Apply statistical methods including descriptive and inferential techniques using parametric and nonparametric statistics.
7. Communicate analysis and results clearly, concisely and precisely for colleagues and clients.
8. Contribute to the completion of milestones associated with specific projects by analyzing complex datasets and using effective visualizations of data in their results. Establish short-term goals and objectives within sphere of responsibility; help provide a leadership role in developing alternative and new analytic paths.
9. Serve as an effective team member and may lead a portion of a small project by fulfilling assignments in a timely and efficient manner. Works cooperatively by providing clear input to colleagues on tasks. Exhibit a positive attitude, and takes responsibility for own actions and outcomes.
10. Interacts effectively with personnel across the FFRDC. Develops professional and enduring relationships with functional peers within the organization, as well as sponsors / clients/ vendors; sometimes with guidance from others. Interaction normally involves exchange or presentation of factual, but somewhat varied and complex information.
11. Perform other duties as assigned.
1. Education: Bachelor’s degree in Data Science, Operations Research, Computer Science, Math, Statistics, or related field or equivalent combination of education and work experience
2. Experience: Minimum 2 years relevant experience. Experience with Department of Defense (DOD), the military branches or other government agencies preferred.
3. Skills: Proficient in applying machine learning techniques, building models (statistical, mathematical, simulation, etc.) in programming languages such as R or Python. Ability to analyze complex datasets using effective visualizations of data in achieved results; skilled in programming, statistics, machine learning, and data visualization. Working knowledge of data and information management analysis techniques and best practices. Experience working in cloud data environments such as AWS and Azure desired. Ability to work with ML tools such as Spark, Databricks, and Data Robot. Ability to construct effective briefings using MS PowerPoint and intermediate to advanced skills with MS Word and Excel and other standard software packages. Ability to communicate information effectively in both oral and written communication. Ability to present and summarize data effectively. Works effectively on a team and able to build rapport with colleagues, clients/sponsors, and staff. Strong customer and client relations skills.
4. Other: Ability to obtain and maintain an Active Security Clearance.
Please include a cover letter and transcripts as part of your application to be considered for this position. A cover letter should introduce yourself, briefly summarize your professional background, explain why you are a good candidate and the reason for your personal interest in applying for this job.
***Voluntary (but highly desired) document***
Please include a personal statement as part of your application. A personal statement is a chance for us to get to know you. The statement is your opportunity to share your goals, interests, influences and show us that you will be a valuable asset to our organization. Please click here for personal statement guidelines – Click here
Personal statements will not be used as an elimination criteria for this position. They will only be used to enhance a candidate’s application
- Job Family Technical
- Job Function Career Path I - Research
- Employment Indicator (none)
- CNA, 3003 Washington Blvd, Arlington, Virginia, United States of America